LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to i2c solutions

I concur with smercurio_fc.  We also originally used the Cal-Bay device and switched to the Aardvark.
Jason
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(3,173 Views)

Does any one use USB-to-I2C V2.1 with labview? It is manufactured by i2ctools (www.i2ctools.com), but did not provide the command for labview. Any idea?

Thanks,

Opt_Ottawa

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(3,136 Views)

If the device came with a dll file, then you could call the functions in the dll to interface with the device.

See this community post. You would already have the dll file, so you would be interested in steps 10 and later.

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(3,116 Views)
I've not got much experience with I2C, but this is what I've found with a few interfaces over the past couple of years. The 8451s can't work as slaves which was a requirement for my project (too difficult says NI - er, what!). Pity, my company bought four. Should've read the data sheet (thought I did). Tried Cal-Bay but never got them to work properly (well, at all, actually). Then found an I2C interface made by Calibre UK Ltd. No LabVIEW drivers or even a command line but came with a very workable DLL that I thought I could hook into with LabVIEW. Too late, effort was pulled on the project and I never got to try it. Still on my list of things to try before I die. Just my threepennethworth...
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(3,108 Views)

We use this solution:

SUB-20 Multi Interface USB Adapter USB-I2C, USB-SPI, USB-GPIO, RS232, RS485, MDIO, Ir, LCD, PWM

They provide LabView compatible .NET cmponent and a lot of vi's here:

http://www.xdimax.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(2,646 Views)

This is a very old thread but I was hoping someone knowledgeable could update the information in it.

It's mid-2015.... I want a single USB to I2C host-controller which:

- Is cheap (sadly rules out the usb-8541)

- Will work with the I2C 400 khz fast mode  

- Gives reliable results everytime.

- Supports LabView for idiots (me) ie. drivers/examples available to work with.

I see that there is the Aardvark and the Diolan are still out there.

Diolan $90 + shipping

Aardvark $275 + shipping

Dimax Sub-20 $79 + shipping

The Diolan is significantly cheaper than the Aardvark which is significantly cheaper than the NI-USB 8541.  The Dimax sub-20 is a wildcard...

Obviously the controllers are packaged up differently but from a simpletons perspective on programming and reliability what would people recommend and why?

Thanks in advance,

Ibboh

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(2,154 Views)

Definitely SUB-20. Not only because of it's price but taking in account a "Supports LabView for idiots (me) ie. drivers/examples available to work with."

They have a full set of VI's drivers and samples, besides they provide a grate support even including writing a simple modules for you (they did it for me).

NI LabVIEW
SUB-20-VI-1.2.zip  1.2 09 Jan 2015   Comprehensive LabVIEW and LV2013+ vi modules pack
SUB-20-VI-1.0.zip  1.0 15 Nov 2013   Comprehensive LabVIEW vi modules pack
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(2,142 Views)

Great discussion on USB to I2C solutions.  I'd to throw another one into the mix.  Has anyone used the USB to I2C Breakout board from Mayhew? http://mayhewlabs.com/products/usb-to-i2c-breakout  It uses the Silicon Labs CP2112.  It doesn't have LabVIEW drivers but has a dll and sample C and Visual Basic code. At $14.43 it might be worth putting the time into writing drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(2,083 Views)

Good afternoon!
Please download the archive with the LABVIEW project again.
The link to the SUB-20-LabVIEW-0.1.zip and SUB-20-LabVIEW-0.2.zip archives in the previous message is no longer available.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,302 Views)

You can download latest version directly from the web site:

http://www.xdimax.com/sub20/sub20.html#DLD

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,282 Views)