From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to Serial

Solved!
Go to solution
Why are you posting? Do you have the exact same problem?
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(712 Views)

Yes pretty much the same issue. I have an STAC6 driver controlling a servo motor which communicates with RS232 serial. I had a VI working just fine using Visa. Now, I'm trying to use an RS232-USB converter. I downloaded the windows driver, and updated it using the Visa driver wizard as per the instructions by NI. http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4478/en/

I am able to detect the component in device manager and MAX. When I try sendin inputs using Visa test panel (using Driver specified language) it is returning that there is no error and write command was received, but am not getting response from motor.  When I click on 'Read Status Byte' I am getting the following error: 

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF003A) Unable to start operation because setup is invalid (due to attributes being set to an inconsistent state).

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(683 Views)
You broke everything by using the wizard. It should not have been done. Why did you mess with that? You will need to undo that and use the driver you downloaded to return it to a virtual serial port. Of you had left everything alone, your original program should have worked.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(674 Views)

This is not true. The first thing I tried was running the program after simply plugging it in. Now.. I reinitialized the USB-serial driver and am still having the same issue. Device manager and MAX are detecting the device, but proper communication does not work. I can't even connect to the driver Configurator when the converter is in use. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(661 Views)
If you still are using the driver from the wizard, you certainly made a big mistake. You will not get 'proper' communication. If you got an error with the USB-RS232 driver from the vendor, you should have reported the error here instead of making things up and using the wizard. Simply use the restore point you set before creating a new driver. You took this simple precaution, didn't you?
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(654 Views)

No wizard, it is out of the picture and the original driver is being used. Also, I didn't make anything up. I followed the detailed instructions to use the wizard provided by NI, this was the link I posted. 

Now that we both agree that wizard is not involved anymore, I could use help on how to properly setup the usb-serial converter, because simply using the windows driver does not work. Would you be the person that could help me? 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(642 Views)
What doesn't work about it? Who makes the chip set? A lot of prolific chips are actual counterfeits and will not work with a prolific driver. Where are trying to configure it - in MAX or device manager? Please include error messages/codes.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(631 Views)