LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to RS232 adapter

Recently I bought a USB to RS232 adapter (GUC232A from iogear) for my Mac (10.8). I installed the latest driver. This adapter works "OK", not perfect. There is one issue, when I open "NI-VISA configuration", I can see not only the serial name "ASRL8:INSTR", but also USB name "USB0::0x557::0x2008::NI-VISA-487661568::RAW". I'm wondering why I get two device's names. 

BTW, I tried different versions of drivers before I installed latest one, does this cause the problem?  I also tried one adapter from Newport company. It only shows as "ASRL5:INSTR" and works fine.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,798 Views)

I use IOGear adapters on Windows and have never seen what you describe.  I suspect it must be the fact you are using a Mac and something within the Mac version of their drivers.

How does it show up in whatever is the Mac equivalent to the Windows control panel/device manager?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,794 Views)

Hi 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,788 Views)

Do Macs ever call serial ports by Com1, Com2, .... Com8??

I wonder, if you  open the serial port by the ASRL8 nomenclature, will it show "Busy" on the VISA configuration screen?  And if it does, does the USB nomenclature also show that it is Busy?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,756 Views)
How is the 'RAW' nomenclature a problem? If you can successfully use ASRL to communicate, then ignore the extra listing.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,751 Views)

When I open the serial port by the ASRL8, the USB nomenclature disappear. Only ASRL8 shows "BUSY". Maybe I should ignore it.
 Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,715 Views)

Maybe the Mac first identifies the adapter by the raw USB name, and then it fully identifies the device as an RS-232 port, but the listing of ports is kind of stale and still shows the initial identification.  Opening the port causes the listing to refresh itself.

Just speculating.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,708 Views)

I have not tried the IOGear device.  Some devices which use the Prolific chips have had problems on the Mac in the past.

I have an EasySync device (FTDI Chip) with two RS-232 ports connected through one USB port. It shows in System Information with the EasySync model number. I do not get the USB RAW identification.

In LV the ASRL1 and 2 ports are always present.  I think at least one of them is the Bluetooth device.  When I connect the EasySync, ASRL3 and 4 show up in the VISA Resource control.  When I try to Open ASRL2 I get a resource not accessible error. The other three open without errors.

Mac OS X 10.8.4.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,698 Views)