LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to LabVIEW: Si7005USB-DONGLE

hi

I want to read the data from Si7005 (USB-DONGLE) directly in to the LabVIEW rather by using the manufacturer provided software.

I am currently using Si7005 (USB-DONGLE) (https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/user-guides/Si7005USB-DONGLE.pdf ) to record Humidity/temperature using the an NI based software provided by the manufacturer (attached). I have also copied the drivers from system32 folder and attached with the message.

I am using LabVIEW 2014 SP 1 32 bit.

Kindly help me out.

Syed

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,685 Views)

Hi Syed,

your best bet is to ask SiliconLabs for either a detailed manual (including all programming information) or the source code of that demo software…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(2,661 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I posted the query on their website forum.

I see a similar query on their website but the answer for it was not help full (see the attached image).

Is their any other way to read the sensor measurement in to labVIEW ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,644 Views)

Hi Syed,

either use the supplied API - or try to use some sniffer software to learn about the communication between that example software and the dongle...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 6
(2,631 Views)

Gerd, there is no API. The driver ZIP is simply the Windows driver installer. It contains some DLLs, but no documentation about the DLL API or even just a header file (which is generally not enough for a safe driver interface library). And the Software.zip is simply the LabVIEW compiled exe which is of little use too to reverse engineer the API driver.

To the OP, such evaluation kits are almost never meant to be used as a real product. The idea of an evalution kit is to provide a platform on which a developer can do some experiments before and while he designs the chip into his own product. And that means indeed that you are supposed to design your own PCB with your own interface, be it USB, Ethernet, RS-232, PCI, Firewire or whatever you find useful and develop a firmware for the controller on that interface and according device drivers for every OS you want to support. Sometimes the evaluation kit comes with sample source code but by far not always and in this case Silicon Labs seems to not be interested to support their product in such a way. Either you find someone else at Silicon Labs who is more helpful or you have to rethink your idea about using this USB dongle for your purpose.

Since the actual sensor chip is I2C based, an alternative might be to use an Arduino or Raspberry Pi as controller. Searching on the net shows that their are Arduino libraries to talk to this chip. There is also a Linux driver for embedded boards that have an integrated I2C interface but that path is going to be quite a bit more complicated. Compiling your own Linux kernel for some embedded hardware controller is something that requires a lot of dedication and time.

Last but not least you could buy an USB-8441/8451 from NI which is an USB to I2C/SPI converter and that comes with extensive VI drivers to access the I2C bus directly from within LabVIEW. You still will need to implement the actual I2C communication in LabVIEW but this sensor is not very complicated so that shouldn't be a big hurdle.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 6
(2,628 Views)

Dear Rolf and Gerd

Thanks for your suggestions. I am currently looking in to the Arduino pathway.

I just found few more files from the software installation CD. As the size is quite large to attached with the message, therefore I have shared them via google drive. Please if you can look in to the files and let me know if they can be helpful to access the data from si7005USB into labVIEW.

Yours sincerely

Syed

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jD6UjgUD2rvTD_6zTw6wJX5moDXfquw9?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,607 Views)