LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Device shows up in device manager but not in max

So I'm trying to install a USB device and get it to show up in max.  I created a driver for it using the VISA "driver wizard" and can get it to show up in device manager as a NI VISA USB Device (See attachment) but the device never appears in MAX. 
I've done this before and never had any issues. 
Any suggestions why Windows can see it as a VISA device but Max can't see it at all?
Thanks,
Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,800 Views)
Hey NIDAVE,
I am going to assume that you followed the steps laid out in this KnowledgeBase and that after you finished using the wizard to create the .inf file, you plugged the USB device. This would prompt Windows to automatically install the device with the given driver. I am curious if the device you are using is USB RAW or USBTMC? As well what version of NI-VISA and Measurement & Automation Explorer(MAX) do you have installed? Also if you do not mind letting me know what type of device you are using that way I can troubleshoot the issue a bit more. Thanks again and have a great day!
Regards,

Nicholas K
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,773 Views)
Nicholas, thanks for your help.
I did go through the knowledge base and all sorts of other forum posts.  I think I've accessed every related document on the web!!!
When I plugged in the device windows installed the driver that came with the device.  In device manager I pointed to the driver that I created with the wizard and installed that one.  This seems to have moved it from its original category within device manager to the NI-VISA category.  The device is going to be USB RAW.  It is actually a "Belkin Easy Transfer Cable."  The idea is to detect a heartbeat over USB from my UUT to ensure that it is alive.  The original thought was to use two USB to RS-232 converters on each end but due to the stresses of the thermal/vibration chamber and other issues that plan was abandoned for this USB A to USB A cable.  The Linux side works fine and can send and recieve it's own heartbeat (just for testing) but now I need to LabVIEW side to be able to detect that heartbeat. 
My MAX is version 4.4.Of1  (not so sure why the "Of1" is there)
Visa is version 4.2

Thanks again for your help!
-Dave
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,767 Views)
Hey NIDAVE,
I want to double check that you are able to see the USB device in VISA Interactive Control, which is located under Start->All Programs->National Instruments->VISA->VISA Interactive Control. If the device does not show up in the VISA Interactive Control, than it will not show up in Measurement & Automation Explorer(MAX), which means that something is preventing a VISA session from opening to your device. Thanks again and have a great day!
Regards,

Nicholas K
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,751 Views)
Nicholas,
It doesn't show up there either.  I rewrote the driver again with the wizard and I am getting the error 10 "device cannot start".  I have upgraded to VISA 4.3 and have Max 4.4.0f1 as stated above.  Checking the driver it is linked to it is using the proper "NIVIUSBK.SYS" file as it should be. 
Any thoughts to get rid of error 10?
Thanks,
Dave
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,749 Views)

Hello,

I am having the same problem that you describe here with my USB device with NI-VISA driver not showing up in MAX.  Did you ever find a solution?  Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,559 Views)

SGC,

Your answer is most likely going to be no, like Nicholas said, if the device does not show up in the VISA Interactive Control, than it will not show up in Measurement & Automation Explorer(MAX), which means that something is preventing a VISA session from opening to your device.

Eric K

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,517 Views)

I'm having a similar problem.  However, I'd like to know how you were able to "point" to the NI-VISA driver?  I have the .inf file created, but I'm unable to see NI-VISA installed devices in device manager.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,795 Views)
It's almost always a big mistake to use the VISA wizard. Before you did this, what driver was being used? What sort of device is it? Is it supposed to be a Windows HID device?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,779 Views)