LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Type Definition interpreted as Strict?

Hi!

I had developed some code in LabVIEW 8.6 around a "Type Def" custom control.  Contained within this Type Def is an Enumerater control with which I'd like to be able to manipulate the Strings[] property at runtime within the VI that consumes the control.  The VI in question has an array of these cluster controls that are linked and auto-updated from the Type Def.

Updating the Strings[] property appeared to work fine in LabVIEW 8.6, but now throws an error when trying to perform the same operation in LabVIEW 2009.  I recieve this error:

"Error 1082 occured at Property Node (arg 1) in .... Possible reason(s): LabVIEW: Operation not valid for strict type definition instance."

I checked the control, and it is set to "Type Def" not "Strict Type Def."  Is there anyway around this w/o breaking the link to the Type Def?

Could I have changed something to the control since I upgraded to 2009 that is now making updates to the String[] property not possible?

Thanks for your input!

-Nic

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,772 Views)

Hmm... upon disconnecting the link to the type def, I still recieve an error at the same spot that reads:

"Error 1073 occured at Property Node (arg 1) in ... Possible reason(s): LabVIEW: This property is writable only when the VI is in edit mode, or this method is available only when the VI is in edit mode."

Maybe I should change it to some other type of drop-down control and try it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,768 Views)
Switching the control from Enumerator to Text Ring fixed the problem.  I guess it makes sense that Enumerator's aren't allowed to change at run time sense they are typically tied to Case Structures.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,760 Views)
Not being able to write to the Strings[] property of an enum at runtime is not specific to LabVIEW 2009. It's been with LabVIEW for a very long time.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,745 Views)