LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off icon numbers in new sub-VIs

Solved!
Go to solution

The default behavior for LabVIEW is to add an auto-incrementing VI number to new sub-VI icons - even when creating new dispatch methods for a class.

Is there any way to turn this off? I never retain the number and don't know any regular LabVIEW programmers who do. It seems like a training wheel feature for people who never use LabVIEW (preventing them from making identical icons). But it's an annoying extra step to have to delete it every time.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,031 Views)

Nope.  I'm sure there was an idea about this on the Idea Exchange, but I'm too lazy/busy to perform the search.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,029 Views)

it would make sense to me...if i made a bunch of SubVI's, i would know the difference besides the fact of editing the icon

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,023 Views)

Try adding the line

UseNumbersForNewVIIcons=FALSE

to your INI file and restart LV. See if that works.

it works!!

Kudos always welcome for helpful posts 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,018 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike_Le

Don't know if this is what you are after, but there is an option under Front Panel "Use numbers in icons of new VIs (1 through 9)" that you could try turning off.

Message 6 of 13
(5,010 Views)

@tyk007 wrote:

Don't know if this is what you are after, but there is an option under Front Panel "Use numbers in icons of new VIs (1 through 9)" that you could try turning off.

Anybody know when this got added?  First time I've noticed it.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,004 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@tyk007 wrote:

I thought this was added in 2011? It's not in the list of new features in the 2012 Options.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,991 Views)

@tyk007 wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@tyk007 wrote:

I thought this was added in 2011? It's not in the list of new features in the 2012 Options.

I am using 2011 and it is there.  I was most used to 8.6, which this definately was not there.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,983 Views)

From LV9:

LV9Options.png

Message 10 of 13
(4,946 Views)