LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to interface Keithley 2400 Sourcemeter using RS 232.

When I use the basic serial read and write vi, I get a "Keithley I*" at visa read, and I also get the following data -

bytes read - 83

string read - KEITHLEY\sINSTRUMENTS\sINC.,MODEL\s2400,1092330,C27\s\s\sFeb\s\s4\s2004\s14:58:04/A02\s\s/K/J\r\n

I get this when the string to write is - "*IDN?\n"

all the parameter match with that of the device (baud rate, parity, data bits, flow control)

Also can anyone tell me what is the Stop Bit and what value do I need to set it to be able to read data from Keithley.

I am new to LabView so please keep it simple and explain in detail. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(9,045 Views)

LabVIEW drivers for this instrument is available in NI Instrument Driver Network.

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=1583

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(9,032 Views)

I am using RS232 - these drivers are for GPIB - and moreover I have the drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(9,029 Views)

The same driver you can use for RS232 interface as well.

See below, Init.vi in same library.

Init.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(9,026 Views)

@smkuls wrote:

When I use the basic serial read and write vi, I get a "Keithley I*" at visa read, and I also get the following data -

bytes read - 83

string read - KEITHLEY\sINSTRUMENTS\sINC.,MODEL\s2400,1092330,C27\s\s\sFeb\s\s4\s2004\s14:58:04/A02\s\s/K/J\r\n

I get this when the string to write is - "*IDN?\n"

all the parameter match with that of the device (baud rate, parity, data bits, flow control)

Also can anyone tell me what is the Stop Bit and what value do I need to set it to be able to read data from Keithley.

I am new to LabView so please keep it simple and explain in detail. Thanks in advance.

sounds like you got a valid reply. Keithley 2400 meter is a SCPI based protocol and only really needs visa read and write. Since it's SCPI you must write a message before it will reply with data. When you did *IDN? (standard "identify yourself" scpi command) you got back a valid reply.

Whith the Keithley manual you can try sending other commands and they should work with your setup.

Certified-LabVIEW-Architect_rgb.jpgCertified_TestStand_Architect_rgb.jpg

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Bernard Books

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(9,021 Views)

but after the reply keithley freezes and I have to turn it off and then switch it on again.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(9,018 Views)

I used the ":FETCh?" command which equests latest readings and when I turn the source on I don't get any value but I also don't get any error - I get a warning  (more bytes can be read) - how can I get it to read the value and not freeze.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(9,014 Views)

Try to use MAX to send *IDN? command to the instrument and let see if its freezes or not.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(9,008 Views)

What do you mean by "the instrument freezes"?  Does it still respond to commands?  Or none of the front buttons will work?

Many instruments will ignore the front panel buttons when they recieve remote commands.  There's a local button to reenable the front panel.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(9,005 Views)

I can't do anything - nothing happens if I press any of the buttons on the device.

Well I can't really say anything about the commands - becausee on giving *IDN? - I still get the string.

PS - No other commands work,but no error also.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(8,998 Views)