LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Connecting to Bluetooth Scale

I'm trying to connect to a Ohaus Scout scale. It uses BLE and easily connects to Tablets and Mobile devices via an app from Ohaus. I would like to connect to my PC if possible. I am using a windows 7 PC that has Bluetooth 4.0.

Using the Labview bluetooth discover tool I am able to discover the scale, and read its address and device name, but when I use the bluetooth open connection tool I receive error 54.

"The network address is ill-formed. Make sure the address is in a valid format.

I am using the VI below to try and connect 

Any ideas? Is this even possible? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,904 Views)

Hi AELCA,

I found the manual for the bluetooth adaptor here (attached for others, because the website copy is a bit annoying) and saw you've already used it to get the UUID.

It's unclear to me from your VI exactly where or what problem you're having. You mention issues with the Open Connection node, but the VI you attached uses a listener to open a connection and then does some Read/Write pair.

Does the VI you attached work for you? And if so, is the question about changing this VI to use the Open Connection instead?

Replacing the Create Listener node with an Open Connection node looks like it should work (with accompanying changes to the downstream nodes). Is that what you tried when you get Err 54?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,819 Views)

Sorry for the confusion. This is an iteration I tried using the listener, I also tried a version with the open connection node as well. Both give me the error at the Create Listener, or Open Connection node. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,809 Views)

Hi AELCA,

From the Using LabVIEW with Wireless Devices help topic you can see that the LabVIEW Bluetooth VIs only support the Blueooth RFCOMM protocol.

The topic Communicate with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Devices in LabVIEW gives more information on using BLE devices with LabVIEW.

Milan
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,801 Views)

Alright so I now have the BLE Tool Kit, the BLED112 Dongle, and can connect to my scale, and read the Scale name. Can anyone point me in the direction of information on how to use the toolkit? I am pretty green with bluetooth tech and have been messing around with the toolkit but am not making much headway. I need to send commands to the scale, then read its response. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,749 Views)