LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triggering with digital start and analog start

Hello

I am trying to to trigger a digital function generator from a daq-assistant that is used to move an x-axis motor. Now the programs run side by side but I want the function generator to trigger and send a pulse every time the x-motor is said to run via the program. Know I have the capability to export the signal the x-motor signal via daq-board or use a digital signal via the program itself. I would prefer the digital signal but will take any help I can get. Attached is an example picture of my code for the motor and the function generator

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,747 Views)

Hi,

I wanted some more information on your setup. What DAQ device and signal generator are you using? Can you please clarify how you want to trigger each device?

Regards,

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,713 Views)

Sure i would love to would you also like the entire program uploaded so that you could take a look at it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,699 Views)

We will start with the basics. Please describe in details what you are trying to do and what hardware and software you are using.

Thanks!

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,694 Views)

I am using labview 2012 and two daq boards 

NI USB-6251 BNC the function generator uses this one

NI USB-6251 the dc motor uses this one 

I will update with specific ports that they use tomorrow 

I will also upload the program that I use its a little big 

basically all I want to do is trigger the function generator overtime a signal is sent for the x axis motor to move

I hope that answers some of your questions will update tomorrow in lab with complete program

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,684 Views)

Hi,

The link below provides information on triggering and why it is not recommended to use the DAQ assistant for triggering.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Academic-Hardware-Products-NI/Hardware-Digital-Trigger-using-DAQ-Assistant-E...

I recommend reading the link below which has useful information on triggering and how to effectively use it with NI-DAQmx.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4329/en

Regards,

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,654 Views)

Thank you for that helpful advice I looked over what you said and tried to fix my program I will upload it here. 

As you can see it includes an oscilloscope and create array function for that data that is captured on the oscilloscope. That works fine the only part that I am having trouble with is triggering the function generator every time the raster scan moves along the x-axis. I just need to know what values to set as the trigger for the function generator to get it to trigger every time the daq assistant for x gets a signal and exports it to the daq board. I hope that clears some things up.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,634 Views)

Hi,

What do you mean by 'what values to set as the trigger for the function generator'? Your trigger value is going to be what you set based of a level you want to pass to start acquisition.

I am a little confused with your VI. Can you please comment in the block diagram the part where you are having trouble with? Also, is there a reason why you are using timed loops?

Regards,

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,618 Views)

I believe I answered your questions correctly let me know if you have any more. The two images are the sections that I need help with and the comments are in the VI with answers to your question.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,572 Views)

Hi,

Since you are using an analog output with the DAQ assistant you can't do digital triggering with it. You can try to use analog triggering and the analog channel should be connected to APFI0 on the BNC. It's better to use low level VIs rather than the DAQ assistant.

Also are you using LabVIEW Real Time (RT)?

Regards,

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,551 Views)