Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition from NXG to LabView

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Community,

I have a question regarding this topic:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Our-Commitment-to-LabVIEW-as-we-Expand-our-Software-Portfolio/td-p/...

If I understand it correctly, Labview NXG will not be developed any further.

We currently have a project developed in NXG and we want to kind of reorganize it.

My question is:

If we stick to NXG, will it be easy to transition this NXG project into a LabView if we maybe want to use a newer version of LabView in the future?

Unfortunately I have my doubts: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019ZJKSA2&l=de-DE

Or should we make a new project in LabView from scratch so that we are guaranteed to be able to always use latest ni software?

Thanks for answers in advance!

Best

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,221 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lüis

There are no automatic tools to do the translation and NI has more or less stated publicly that they do not plan to do such a tool.

So your choice comes down to this:

1) Bite the sour apple and convert now. If you plan to do more than minor cosmetic changes at this time, I would definitely go with this. Otherwise you simply postpone the work for later and will have more work to do as you will need to convert whatever you develop now too. Also expertise about the application in a few years from now will likely be less than at this time so you need even more time to make the conversion as you will have to reverse engineer much more than now.

2) Postpone the conversion: If you only plan to do minor modifications now it may be feasable. This is also true, if the chance that you will ever want to significantly modify this application in the future is close to 0%.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 4
(1,168 Views)

Thanks for the quick and informative answer!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,152 Views)

IMO, porting from NXG to LabVIEW should be a lot easier to do than the other way around because NXG is almost like a subset of LabVIEW.  I think you will find it more tedious than challenging.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,125 Views)