LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traditional NI-DAQ to NI-DAQmx

Solved!
Go to solution

I am a LabVIEW Neophyte.  I have inherited a LabVIEW project from a previous employee long gone from the company I work for.  The project was written using Traditional NI-DAQ and I need to update it to NI-DAQmx so that it will be 64-Bit compatible.  I of course ran into trouble with the very first VI that I am trying to upgrade.

This VI was built with LabVIEW 2011 SP1 and I need to replace the AI Config, AI Start, AI Read, Channel to Index, AI Control, and AI Clear VIs with their NI-DAQmx equivalents.  Upgrading it to LabVIEW 2013 SP1 is possible if that makes things easier.

Now here is the tricky part.  I want to keep the terminals on this VI the same if possible.  This VI is used in several places and in a few different programs and I want to make the change as minimally invasive as possible.  If possible I want the changes to be made only inside this VI.

I am looking for any help and or advice. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,809 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author The_Prisoner(No.6)

First,  Abandon all hope of keeping the connector panes identical.  It is possible but, foolish to attempt. (Just trust me OK?)

Read these Knowledge base articles

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3021/en/

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4342/en/

What you are attempting requires skill usually not developed in a LabVIEW neophite. (And you are starting with "Spaghetti" code- This will not be "Fun") Do audit a training course and get to know your local NI rep.  Odds are a few pointers from a local expert will point you away from some serious mistakes.  

Take Care

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,768 Views)

I completely agree with Jeff.  I also "inherited" a LabVIEW 7 Real-Time "mess" using legacy DAQ, and spent several years trying to learn "how to".  I eventually abandoned trying to "modernize" this code, started over with LabVIEW 2010 and DAQmx, and never looked back.

There's a wonderful paper (in addition to the two Jeff mentioned) called something like "Ten Functions that do 90% if the work in DAQmx" (of course, I've got a copy somewhere on my desk at work, but couldn't find it just now doing a Web search ...).  It really does show you how easy "doing it the modern NI Way" can be (especially compared to Legacy DAQ).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,721 Views)

Thank you for your replies.  Jeff your post especially gave us a good laugh around the office.  I will definitely take a good look at the articles that you mentioned.  The good news is that I am not under time constraints with this upgrade.  Hopefully as I go along it will become easier for me.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,697 Views)

I managed to complete the upgrade.  The links that you provided Jeff were extremely helpful.  I have attached my solution here in hopes that in the future someone may benefit from seeing the before and after results.

Message 5 of 5
(2,563 Views)