LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tortoise SVN SCC- No Network

Due to a change in User Rights within our company I no longer have Administrator rights, hence I am setting up a PC off the corporate network with full Admin rights for my LabVIEW development work.

Also planning to use TortoiseSVN (first time using SCC- yes I know it's about time!) for various projects and I am the sole LabVIEW developer at this site. Looking for feedback regarding Repository locations-

I am considering putting my Repositories on my local drive and using Western Digital tools to make frequent scheduled backups of them on an external HDD. Then perhaps copy them over to our Network via USB file transfers on a less frequent schedule as a secondary backup.

Any potential drawbacks to this approach or suggestions from those better versed in this?

Thanks!

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,034 Views)

Sounds good to me.  I find that using an SCC gives you the power to follow thought experiments to their conclusion - especially if you make a branch just for that - and not be afraid of not being able to go back.  (Make a branch, do a bunch of commits, decide that method won't work - just delete the branch and pick up where you left off on the trunk.  Like what you did?  Merge it back into the trunk.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,030 Views)

Copying and pasting repositories would probably work, but it sounds like a headache waiting to happen. Could you VPN into your corporate network? Does your company use any cloud storage services? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,027 Views)

Having a decent SCC is too critical to leave as an "ad hoc" solution (such as hosting it yourself, unless you have really good "continuous backup" in place, and know what you are doing).  You might consider using a third-party SVN hosting service and handing the "management" and "backup" headaches to them.  One that seems to be pretty good (I've used them briefly on a "Trial" basis) is Assembla, but I believe there are others.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,020 Views)