From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top LabVIEW Rookie Mistakes

@RavensFan wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:
Why would you choose a Strict Type def for a constant on the block diagram when it will never be seen by the user?  Why not a Type def?

Interestingly enough, when I took my first LabVIEW course, I think I was instructed on using a Strict TypeDef.  I don't remember whether it was the instructor or what the book actually told to use.  Sometime afterwards was when I learned that the vast majority of the time that you are better off using a Regular TypeDef and save the Strict TypeDef for those rare instances when you really need to lock down the appearance of the control.

I'm in a cleanup mode at work, so when I come across my books from the course, I'll peek at them and see what it was they were instructing to do.

Interesting discussion.  I am always torn between the two to the point that sometimes I'll change back and forth for a particular control.  I know, that's dumb, but...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 47
(1,495 Views)

The only good reason I've seen for a Strict Type Def is for Ring controls beings used for APIs.  Rings should be used instead of Enums if your API will be used globally.  Enums do NOT support localization since the strings are part of the data type, while Ring controls do support localization since the strings are not part of the data type.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 47
(1,489 Views)
It actually bugs me a lot when some big cluster of data is strict for no good reason. The new LIFX is a good example where giant clusters are mode to only show one item. Then make strict so you can't just right click and arrange vertically. And don't get me started on their silver controls usage.
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 47
(1,481 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:
It actually bugs me a lot when some big cluster of data is strict for no good reason. The new LIFX is a good example where giant clusters are mode to only show one item. Then make strict so you can't just right click and arrange vertically. And don't get me started on their silver controls usage.

That's why I keep switching back and forth.  I eventually end up usually non-strict because I come to the conclusion that the unforgiving nature of the strict is simply not worth the hassle.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 47
(1,471 Views)

Besides the 5 rookie mistakes mentioned in your article, some of the other most common rookie mistakes I see are:

1. Not establishing and documenting project requirements before writing code or designing architectures and interfaces
  2. Not designing appropriate architectures and interfaces before writing code (this is much more than just selecting a design pattern)

From my experience, these two mistakes are almost always to blame when code is not scalable, modular, or maintainable.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 47
(1,326 Views)
One big one is failure to think ahead. People go into a project assuming it (or the requirements) will never change.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 47
(1,298 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
One big one is failure to think ahead. People go into a project assuming it (or the requirements) will never change.

Agreed.  The issue is broader than a rookie LabVIEW mistake and really a tip for any one at the program manager level or below.  I used to have a sign in my cube that was just a white sheet of paper that said "Remember to get everything you need" which on the surface isn't all that funny, but it was a quote from a manager at the start of a program, that had no product, no method to communication to the product, no tester,  and no specifications.  I didn't know enough to know what I needed yet.

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 47
(1,259 Views)