LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Stamping Signal from NI9422

Hello All,
         I am trying to use the NI cDAQ-9172 with a NI-9422 module and I am trying to figure out if the following can be done with LabVIEW.  What I need to do is whenever I get a signal on the NI-9422 I want to time stamp the signal with the current date and time.  The input into the NI-9422 is a part sensor off of a product line.  Also, I will need to monitor the NI-9422 for about a 24hr. period to collect the data that I get with each timestamp.  Is it possible to save this data to an excel or a sheadsheet?  Any help with this would appreciated.  Thanks.

Brandon 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(2,973 Views)
Bump.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(2,958 Views)
If anyone has any info. regarding this it would help out alot.  I am very new to Labview and in need of help.  Thanks for anyones help!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(2,949 Views)
Hi Brandon,
yes it is possible to do what you want. Search for DAQmx in the example finder. See the small example, it shows how to read a digital value with time information.

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 05-06-2008 03:50 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(2,945 Views)
Thank you Mike for your help.  I will test this out and see if this will work.  Thnks again.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(2,942 Views)
Mike, I had a question for you.  The waveform graph that comes off the (Get Waveform Components (Digital Waveform), where is this located on the control palette?  I can't find this.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(2,924 Views)
Mike,
        I got this code to work, but what would be the best way to extract the data you get to an excel file with the time stamp along with each input signal?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(2,910 Views)

Hi Brandon,

what for do you need it later? How many digital signals do you have now?

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(2,892 Views)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  Here is what I'm trying to do with this.  Currently we don't have any data tracking of any kind for our assembly lines, which is coming, just not implemented yet.  What I am trying to accomplish with this is, a part present sensor will be mounted on our assembly line in a predetermined location to track finished parts that come off the line.  Whenever the sensor comes on, I was wanting the cDAQ unit and Labview to take a give that signal a time stamp.  I will need to run this for a 24 hr. period generating maybe 10,000 samples with time stamps.  What I am looking for is everytime my sensor comes on or goes high to time stamp that point and be able to store all my data somewhere in a file.  After the 24. period I would like to be able to store the data I received into a file of some sort, preferably excel, but a text file would work too.  So the answer to your question is I only have 1 digital input coming from the part present sensor.  Your current code that you gave me works for what I can see, but I'm not sure what is happening exactly.  Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again Mike.     

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(2,884 Views)

Hi Brandon,

i think in this case it is better to use a counter. With every rising edge you can create your timestamp and save it to a file.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(2,880 Views)