LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Delay vs Wait

Hi,

I have very basic question. What is the main difference between Wait(ms) and Time Delay.

I want to give a delay after executing some part of the vi as showned in the diagram. Whcih method is the best?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(17,107 Views)

Hi Neevan,

both are (more or less) equivalent in your example.

The ExpressVI has the advantage of ready-to-use error in/out wires to force dataflow...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(17,102 Views)

@neevan wrote:

Hi,

I have very basic question. What is the main difference between Wait(ms) and Time Delay.

I want to give a delay after executing some part of the vi as showned in the diagram. Whcih method is the best?

With the wait you can not reset this so you will always wait 100ms when you run it. The time delay allows you to reset it or not so you could have a one time or sometime wait and not others. THat is the biggest difference.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(17,095 Views)

To take the "mystery" out of Express VIs, remember that you can see what any Express VI does by right-clicking on it and selecting "Open Front Panel". This will create a new VI. Usually this is just a wrapper around another subVI which contains the bulk of the code for the Express VI.

Message 4 of 23
(17,084 Views)

Thank you... How to reset the Time Delay?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(17,085 Views)

What do you mean by "rest the Time Delay"?  Do you mean change the amount of seconds it waits?  If so, you can wire a control to do it manually (although I don't see the benefit), or wire a double value from an algorithm which calculates the number of seconds to wait.

The value is wired to the "Delay Time (s)" input.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(17,077 Views)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With the wait you can not reset this so you will always wait 100ms when you run it. The time delay allows you to reset it or not so you could have a one time or sometime wait and not others. THat is the biggest difference.

Tim
Johnson Controls
Holland Michigan
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________----
Thanks for the reply, i know how to change the value for Time Dealy. I asked that question because Tim mentioned that it can be reset that is diffrence between Time Delay and Wait. So i want to know how to reset the Time Delay?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(17,071 Views)

You might also want to read this.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(17,067 Views)

@aeastet wrote:

@neevan wrote:

Hi,

I guess you are confusing with the Elasped Timer which has the Reset option (I checked Time Delay it doesn't have one).

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(17,066 Views)

Norbert_B, In the link which you provided is very good one for me to learn. But it is not explaining me the difference between Time Delay and Wait

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(17,048 Views)