LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The top level VI was stopped at CrossList on block diagram of VI - What is a CrossList????

Using Labview 2016. Getting a Memory is full error. The error is attached. I've gotten these before so I'm not specifically looking for help with solving the memory error, but I am trying to figure out what a CrossList is? I'm familiar with a crosslist in like C++, but not in Labview. I'm guessing its some kind of array thing?

I'm not going to attach any code or ask with help tracing the issue because this is a MASSIVE project, with a few hundred sub VIs and a massive top level VI. Just looking for info on the CrossList thing.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,625 Views)

@Zxero88 wrote:

I'm familiar with a crosslist in like C++, but not in Labview. I'm guessing its some kind of array thing?

Considering LabVIEW is written in C, C++, and C#, you can probably assume is it what you are familiar with in C++.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,607 Views)

I appreciate you trying to engage my critical thinking skills, but thats a very non answer.

Anyone else have an idea?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,602 Views)

I would also assume that something deep within LV itself crashed and hence you're seeing the error from the language behind the scenes of LV.

One couldn't fix the issue within LV but rather root cause the section in your application that brings out this error.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,576 Views)

I've used some C++, but I'm not familiar with "CrossLists". A quick search turned up a post with that as the name of a structure, but no standard classes or language features.

Can you describe what you think it is (is it a CompSci data structure? I've not had formal compsci education...)

To get better guesses, I think you'll need to give more information - either the VI that's crashing (even without the other VIs might be helpful) or a larger screenshot rather than a very cropped error message - even the box layout/buttons/positioning might be indicative of the type and location of the error throw, etc, or at least remind forum users of where they've seen similar looking errors.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,548 Views)

Interestingly found this similar error solved on another post - worth looking into https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Error-msg-quot-top-level-VI-was-stopped-at-subVI-quot-Enqueue-vi/td...

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,543 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

Thanks for sharing the link, but I don't think it's necessarily related to the OP's question - they seem to be curious specifically about the CrossList, but uninterested in troubleshooting the memory leak (the link you gave is solved when the OP in that thread realised that there was a queue with a growing memory buffer due to fast enqueuing and slower dequeuing, leading towards an infinite number of elements queued up and the corresponding memory error).

That being said, if the goal is to solve problems, then solving the memory leak or large allocations (not necessarily leaking, but just bigger than allocable in the target PC/LabVIEW bitness) will be more productive than finding out what exactly is a "CrossList".

GCentral
Message 7 of 9
(1,537 Views)

Yeah I was originally just curious about the crosslist referenced in the error. When I've dealt with memory issues in the past the info in the error message helped with narrowing down where they were occurring. The crosslist thing through me for a loop (and googling showed nothing) so I was hoping it was a background Labview thing that someone on here could just explain to me. Doesn't look like thats the case.

I don't link code because without uploading the entire project I don't see how anyone could help. Just a snippet won't be terribly useful in this case. We have over 650 VI's in this project. Off the top of my head I'd say maybe 100 - 150 are just bloat and aren't used anymore, but the people before me left a **bleep**ing disaster zone that I'm slowly working my way through and cleaning up. The 500 or so VIs left are actually used. The VI where the error is occurring is our "top level" vi, and its **bleep**ing massive. This entire project is a nightmare from top to bottom.

Anyway if I can't figure it out in the next few days I'll come back and see if I can give everyone enough information to maybe get some assistance. I appreciate everyone's responses so far, thanks guys!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,510 Views)

Ah, I had misunderstood the intention of the post. Thanks for clarifying.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,487 Views)