From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TEDS / Executable Question

Hello,

I built a program that is using a DAQ assistant to read force through a cell connected to a NI 9237 module.  The DAQ assistant is using the force bridge TEDS file to produce the force read-outs.  I am planning on running this software as an executable, so other users will not be able to update the source code.

Every year, I will be having the load cell calibrated, which will update the TEDS file.  Will the executable file be able to read the updated TEDS file without having to update the source code?  Or does the source code need to be updated to include the new TEDS file, and a new executable file be created?  Does NI Max automatically update the TEDS file as well, or does NI Max need to be updated?

It's important that I do not have to update the source code, because this would require a revalidation each year in my company which would not be feasible.  Is it also possible to programmically change the TEDS file in LabVIEW in an executable file, if I do have to go through the route of updating the TEDS file?

I apologize for the several questions, but could not find this information through looking on the site.

Thank you,

Russell 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,669 Views)

If the TEDS file has a name, and the name doesn't change, then when your program reads the file (by referencing it by its name), it will read whatever is in there, allowing you to update at will.  So there should be no problem creating an executable -- it will read "the TEDS file", which is changable, without problems.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 4
(2,634 Views)

Hey Bob,

Thank you for the response.  It looks like the .exe will work for my application then.

If I calibrate the load cell and parameters of the TEDS file update, does NI MAX automatically update the TEDS file, or do I have to go into NI MAX after each calibration and reconfigure the TEDS file?

Thank you,

Russell

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,580 Views)

Hi,

Probably the simplest way to determine that is to generate LabVIEW code from your DAQ assistant. This will let you see what DAQ assistant is really doing (and you can see if it is loading information from the TEDS file each time it runs, or if it saves the information within the task after you create it. This resource demonstrates how to create LabVIEW code from a DAQ assistant express VI:

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4656/en/

If the DAQ assistant is not working the way you need it to, you can try programming it directly in LabVIEW using the TEDS Library. You can find it here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/DE722DD48F72175986256EFB00545EB8?OpenDocument

This gives an overview of using the Library:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CE93FAB3AA03809686256F7A004AB8B0?OpenDocument

I think TEDS_Read VTEDS File.vi might be useful for your application.

Dale S.
RF Systems Engineer - NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,567 Views)