From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS

Hello,

I would like to use the TDMS format to store the messages coming on the COM port from the UUT and would like to read this file later for analysis. Is there any way by which we can view TDMS file in a textpad or notepad without using NI tools.

Thanks in advance,
Pradeep
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,037 Views)
TDMS files are binary and not character-based, so it wouldn't be very helpful to open them in Notepad. The closest we've got is our Excel AddIn that can load TDMS files into Excel with just the AddIn installed, and no further NI software needed. You can download it for free at http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/2944.

Your post raises the question why you don't want to use NI software. If the reason is that you need to open the file on a machine that you cannot install any new software on, you're probably out of luck. If your concern is about licensing costs, then it might be an option to compile an executable (and maybe installer) from the TDMS File Viewer VI. You could redistribute this executable at no additional cost. If you have a different reason, it'll be interesting if you could post it. If we know what it is, we might be able to help.

Thanks,
Herbert

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,022 Views)
Isn't there also a TDM(S) API available from which customers can create, in their favorite language, their own TDM(S) file viewer application?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,011 Views)

Hello Herbert,

Thankyou for the response provided. I have installed the excel AddIn and is serving my purpose to view the files.

The reason I wanted to open the file using notepad is that the logs will be stored on a server and any one who is not familiar with the file format can view them without any knowledge of the File format. I have come up with an exe which servers my purpose and allows the non technical persons to view the files just by specifying the path.

Thanks,
Pradeep

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,999 Views)