LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS files: Programatically adding channels

@Hoovahh Ah I se what you mean now... I guess that would work, although it would make the file less compact and easy to work with... I'll look into it.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(1,149 Views)

Sort by number of peaks. 5 comes before 4 which comes before 3, etc. If you do this it is probably easier to use separate files, like I suggested earlier than combine at the end of the scan.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,149 Views)

@mcduff That would work, too but would also lead to messy spreadsheets as the end user would need to jump between files to get hold of consecutive sweep data... 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,144 Views)

Combine all the sheets together at the end of the scan, from most peaks to least peaks. Hooovahh knows a CMD line agrument to combine tdms files, I can't remember it.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(1,135 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

Combine all the sheets together at the end of the scan, from most peaks to least peaks. Hooovahh knows a CMD line agrument to combine tdms files, I can't remember it.

All it does is a copy /b command which merges files on a binary level.  I show it being used here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Rearrange-TDMS/m-p/2449740#M752539

But you can also perform the same operation in LabVIEW by reading and appending files as shown here:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-22844

I prefer the command line option for large TDMS files, since it doesn't involve having to open references, and doing memory allocation, but some targets (like RT) don't have system exec support so the native G code works.

Oh and yes all of these options will likely increase the file size in some way.  It is hard to say without experimenting how big of an impact it will have.  If you do some testing be sure and perform a TDMS defrag at the end to get the smallest possible file to compare against.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(1,127 Views)