LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch Connected to DMM Initialization problems

I have a DMM connected to a SCXI-1331 that has a Switch connected to it (SCXI-1331). Everything reads in fine. I'm using the basic NI example for this combo. The problem is that it doesn't work unless I reset the modules after every restart of the Computer. I have to go into Measurement and Automation after every restart and reset the modules, sometimes I have to go into the properties of the Relay(SCXI-1127) and re-detect the 1331 and THEN reset the modules for it to read in. In the example vi I use it initializes the DMM (which i have no problems at all with) and the switch, so I don't see what the problem is. (the example I'm using if it matters is...niSwitch DMM Switch Synchronous Scanning.vi) So I'm just curious if anyone knows if this is a NI Software problem, An OS software problem (maybe I need to boot something up at startup) or if it's a hardware problem. I greatly appreciate the help. (and I am using labview...in case that's not obvious...)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,675 Views)
japflare,

Thanks for the question. The issue as you describe it is not one I am familiar with (it hasn't been reported as a major issue in the past). I have, however, seen enough issues that cause "similar" problems to make me think of this being a software (driver) issue. Once you have configured your SCXI devices in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX), you should not have to go back in and reconfigure accessories. You also should not have to reset the device every time you restart the computer (devices should be setup automatically at the startup). Basically, there isn't anything in that you could do in LabVIEW that should cause this issue.

If you still have your driver CDs (NI-DAQ, NI-VISA, NI-SWITCH, NI-DMM, etc) then you might want to try and "repair" your installs from add/remove programs first. With the symptoms you are describing, the problem most likely is with NI-DAQ and/or Measurement and Automation Explorer. NI-DAQ and MAX are responsible for installing all devices and configuring them with the OS. If a repair does not seem to work, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling all of your hardware drivers (you can leave LabVIEW alone). Checking your driver installs is really the only way to get around the issue since this isn't a matter of something you are doing wrong. If you are still having problems, let me know what errors you get in LabVIEW if you don't reset in MAX first. I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Jeremy R.
NI - Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,667 Views)
Thanks for the reply Jeremy. I did what you suggested, that is I reinstalled all the drivers, but now that has somehow given me a new problem. Now when I try to run the example VI I get this error: "Error - 1074135030 occurred at niSwitch Initialize With Topology.vi Possible reason(s): Failure loading driver module. The driver for the DAQmx switch is not loaded" It also sometimes gives me the error complaining about having an invalid resource name, which I'm pretty sure is not the case.

Here is what I have in Measurement and Automation:

So the resource name I'm using is "SC1Mod4" and I have all the uppercases and lower correct. Is this a common error? I hope so...
My current versions are as follows (in case it matters):
Labview: 7.1
MAX: 3.1.0.3021
NIDAQ: 7.1

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,650 Views)
japflare,

I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems with your software. The initialize with topology error is very common when you do not enter the resource name correctly. From your screen shot it looks like everything is in order, though. Have you tried opening the NI-SWITCH Soft Front Panel (Start>>All Programs>>National Instruments>>NI-SWITCH>>NI SWITCH Soft Front Panel)? This will basically query the driver and find all Switch devices present in your system. If this works OK, then there shouldn't be any reason why the LabVIEW program would not work either. In LabVIEW, are you running an example program? Try that also if you are not just to make sure you are still having those problems with a VI that has been thoroughly tested. If you are still getting errors I can possibly help by advising you on how to "clean-up" your system and prepare for a new install of all of the drivers.

Best Regards,
Jeremy R.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,635 Views)
It is working fine now. What I did for those who are actually looking for a solution is downloaded the most current drivers from NI database. I downloaded NI DAQ 7.3.1 (NI DAQ Current) and did a clean install of it. Did as Jeremy said above, testing the soft panel and found everything to be finally working fine. If you run into this problem, you just need to uninstall the drivers that are causing trouble, get the newest off of NI.com and install them. Thank you Jeremy for all your help.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,626 Views)