From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subpanel not showing up on main tab control

Solved!
Go to solution

I inherited an older version (2015) of a very large application. After making some modifications to one of the vis in the tab control it will no longer appear correctly in the running top-level application. All other subpanels are showing up correctly in the other tabs. I did the basics I know to do: deleting and re-entering static vi reference, insert vi reference to subpanel method, recompiling. I even inserted the old version (that was working) of the vi but that is not even working any more. Look at the attached image. What is should look like and what it actually looks like. This is nuts! Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,256 Views)

My insight is that you should expect people to use psychic powers to examine your code.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,247 Views)

Hi Paul,

 


@PaulG_CS wrote:

After making some modifications to one of the vis in the tab control it will no longer appear correctly in the running top-level application. All other subpanels are showing up correctly in the other tabs. I did the basics I know to do: deleting and re-entering static vi reference, insert vi reference to subpanel method, recompiling. I even inserted the old version (that was working) of the vi but that is not even working any more.


Generally I recommend to go back to an older version of your code base using the SCC system you typically use to handle all your code.

Do you use a SCC tool?

 

As you wrote you even took an "old version of the VI": do you really use the "old version" when it also is not working anymore?

Is there a change in your main VI?

 

As long as you don't attach code we cannot help with detailed code analysis…

Best regards,
GerdW


using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,239 Views)

The application is huge and in about 20 systems and growing. We use the conditional disable setting in the project properties to help us keep track of what system is what and what hardware it contains. The default is empty. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,233 Views)

There is no "old" version of code. I simply copied the original Watlow, changed the driver in the vi and inserted that into the conditional statement. When that failed, for a sanity check I inserted the old driver version. No changes were made to the top-level vi, with the exception of changing the watlow.vi from the old to new.

 

I've seen it behave this way before. Simply starting, exiting and restarting has fixed it in the past. Not this time.

 

One big difference: this is an upgrade of the computer itself. I made sure windows was up-to-date, I have yet to be able to update the LV software in any system. ("ni update service encountered an error") running NI update service in admin mode.

 

The entire application is running fine except this one vi in one subpanel.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,223 Views)

Hi Paul,

 


@PaulG_CS wrote:

There is no "old" version of code. I simply copied the original Watlow, changed the driver in the vi and inserted that into the conditional statement. When that failed, for a sanity check I inserted the old driver version. No changes were made to the top-level vi, with the exception of changing the watlow.vi from the old to new.


Why is there no "old" version of the code? Don't you use a SCC system???

 

So you changed something in the subVI, and then you again changed something in the subVI. And now you wonder why it doesn't look like it used to look?

Are the displayed indicators part of your subVI? Where are they located on the frontpanel of your subVI? Where is the "interesting" part of the frontpanel located? Did you move things on the frontpanel? Did you change the origin of the frontpanel???

Best regards,
GerdW


using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,218 Views)

I think I got it. Now I have to figure out how to fix it. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,206 Views)

Hi Paul,

 


@PaulG_CS wrote:

I think I got it. Now I have to figure out how to fix it. 


So you changed something in your main VI and now you need to undo that?

Best regards,
GerdW


using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,202 Views)

Yes. I think so. 😁 

 

I was in a teams meeting tweaking on the block diagram via remote access. I had an audience. I must have gotten momentary stage fright and twirked something I shouldn't have.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,197 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PaulG_CS

Turns out both subpanels ended up on the same tab page. I ended up fixing this by deleting both subpanel invoke nodes for both panels and re-doing them. I have no idea how it happened.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,095 Views)