cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subnet Mask target and gateway in different subnets and clock error

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All:

Need some help. I have a standalone PC operating a VI on a CFP via crossover ethernet cable direct (developed on my laptop, compiled and installed as a standalone on the PC). When the VI is running on the standalone PC, everything functions (button click, analyzers are read), but the time being pulled from the CFP is wrong, and infact resets to december 1969, some default value. I am error checking, and no errors are being flagged from the CFP culling programs. When I go into the MAX function, the time being read from the CFP is the funky time. Looking at the IP addresses, I typically use a very standard protocol (192.168.000.001 for the PC, 192.168.000.002 for the CFP running on the subnet 255.255.255.000 for both the pc and cfp). However, when I apply that protocal on the CFP via max, it gives the error "The subnet mask you entered places the target and the gateway into different subnets." I am not versed well enough to understand this, and what I've read in the 2 postings here, I tried harmonizing the IP and subnet numbers, and they dont seem to help. When I intentionally put in bogus IP or subnet numbers the time timing defaults to the correct (pc) time, but the functions crash (as expected). This is definitely not a PC time zone problem. 

Can anybody offer any guidance?

Currently runnig LV 8.2 with the 2009 drivers. CFP 1804 with MAX 4.6.

I appreciate any help.

Best Reagrds;

Sig.

Message 1 of 3
(3,400 Views)
Sorry, adding some more info: WHen I hook up my control computer (laptop w/the developer suite), I get the same messed up timing on my graphs and time stamp (Dec 1969).  I'm really at a loss.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,386 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ASAT
OK, I solved it. FYI: for people who are not IP savvy: set default gateway, host IP and time server to the same value. My working ranges for the host PC were 192.168.000.001 and the subnet masks can stay 255.255.255.000. The CFP was set to 198.162.000.002 with a DNS of 90.00.00.03. The timeserver was  being blocked by the Norton 2009 Firewall (even with an exception made), and thusly the cruxt of this entire issue. I had to fully uninstall this "software." Hope this helps.
Message Edited by ASAT on 09-21-2009 10:41 AM
Message 3 of 3
(3,362 Views)