LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-VI terminal hover

I'm a relative noob with LabVIEW. I've only been programming for 20 odd years.

Today I found out that when hovering over the terminal of a sub-VI, the name of the terminal corresponds to the CAPTION text of the control, if a CAPTION exists.  Even if the CAPTION is not visible (and I fully understand why the visibility of the caption is actually irrelevant), the text for the CAPTION is used for the hover information.  I did NOT know this, I thought it was the LABEL which would be used.

No matter what else happens today, at least I've learned something. Heart

Message 1 of 4
(2,182 Views)

I use that feature for default values other than default default for an input. In this way, the label is always the name of the control and does not include any info about default value, but the caption does. And if you e.g. create a constant on that input, the label of the constant is the name of the control's label and not the caption. With this approach, the control can have info about its default but will not affect what it shouldn't.

caption.PNG

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 2 of 4
(2,178 Views)

It was a minor point today where I thought "Does everyobody else actually know this and it's just me who didn't?". I know I'm a slow learner sometimes but hey.....

The default value application is interesting, but for me I prefer the label to actually display this because otherwise when refactoring or editing code, the "hidden" caption leads me to think I could oversee keeping things up to date.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,159 Views)

In addition to indicating default values. Usually I prefer to keep labels compact, for example ComTmout instead of Communication timeout, should I need to place a local or property node on the BD. However if the control is a sub-vi terminal, the compact name would be less appropriate and self-explaining than the full name.

A hint: sometimes LabVIEW refuses to update the terminal name just after its change: in those cases, changing the control to indicator, then back to control will force the update.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,139 Views)