LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

String Display Element is Cleared if in Case Structure

Dear all,

I hope my subject has been significant enough. Even though I consider myself to have quite a decent command of English I've got a bit of a problem right now, because I don't know the exact terms used in the english LabVIEW software. Anyway, I hope someone here could maybe help me.

I am quite new to LabVIEW and tried to modify the /Basic Serial Read And Write.vi/ to suit my needs. I am trying to filter data from the serial port and pass it to a string display element. The filtering itself works quite well, but when I tried to put it all in a case structure to handle only certain cases (at the moment it's all data sets with a length >0) I stumbled upon some issues. Theoretically it works quite well, actually, but I have the problem that every time, the blocks encapsulating the string display element are reached within my block diagram, the string display is cleared, no matter which branch of the case structure is executed.

Coming to my question: Is there any way to prevent the string display of beeing cleared if the case structure is not in the branch in which the value is set. I did some research, but seemingly either nobody has encountered this problem before (which is - admittedly - quite unlikely) or I have used the wrong search terms. I would be very glad, if someone here understood my problem and would be able to help me.

Thanks in advance,

Paul K

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,524 Views)

Hi p.k,

Can you post your VI. it will be easy to debug.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,521 Views)

Hello Ranjeet,

of course, please find attached.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,517 Views)

One more trouble, can you convert into 2011.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,513 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,508 Views)

I didn't look at the code, but my guess would be that the string indicator is placed on the connector pane. When you have an output on the connector pane which isn't actually set when the VI runs, I *think* LV resets it to the default value automatically. This is generally something that you shouldn't do - if you have controls and indicators which are on the connector pane, they should be on the outermost layer of the BD so that you always know exactly which value they will have.

Hello P.K,

Tell me what is your data i.e. response, what pattern you want in response in that, timeout and what is the valid reponse size  ?

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,502 Views)

In your VI where you are updatating the read string ?

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,496 Views)

tst mentioned correctly Smiley Happy

Put the string indicator outside the case structure and pass the value from respective cases.

Regards,

Bijay

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,491 Views)

Thank you all very much for your efforts, which unfortunately did not help me that much, even if I think that the hints you gave me could be helpful if I had more LV-Experience than today and yesterday afternoon 😉 Anyway, I solved my problem by creating a new text display and setting the text of this one - it is not reset to "".

Best regards,

Paul 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,482 Views)