LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy to auto-update a standalone application

The application builder (or what replaces it in the project explorer) allows to create different things, among which standalone applications and/or an installers which can include the LV runtime.

When developing an app which goes through repetitive stages of bug fixes and feature additions, it is a bit of a drag (for the user and developer) to receive/send emails about a new installer being available at a specific address and have to go through the download, run and install process each single time.

It should be feasible to have the software regularly check whether said address contains a new file and if so, offer to run the installer for upgrade.

This implies:

- internet address checking

- UI for the upgrade dialog

- download and run the installer (a special upgrade installer without the LV runtime and already installed libraries, or everything?)

- potentially stop and restart the program

Is there some knowledge base link where different strategies and examples have been described?

The only programmatic build example available in LV 2013 returns an error and is anyway minimalist.

Thanks in advance for any pointer.

Message 1 of 4
(3,220 Views)

i wrote my own separate application that runs when my main VI detects a new version of the EXE on the server.  It starts the updater app and exits itself.  When the updater app is finished copying over the new EXE and backing up the old one, it exits and starts up the new EXE.  Granted my application is downloaded over the network, it was a fairly simple process.  Downloading over the internet may be a little more difficult but shouldn't be too bad. 

You may not need to run a complete installer again.  Most likely the installer will contain runtimes and DAQ distributions, which may not be necessary for a bug fix.  So copying over an exe or ini file may be all that is required.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,209 Views)

Check out https://wirebirdlabs.com/

Haven't used them, but they seem like an option, but it's not free.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,193 Views)

Hello 

Can you post your project for reference.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(328 Views)