LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping for loop

Hello

I’m trying to stop a for loop of a subVI while it is still running. In the example you can see my problem. When I run the main VI the loop begins. When I press the stop button (in the main VI) the loop first finishes and after that the VI stops. Is it possible to program that when I push the button the VI immediately stops?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,930 Views)
A solution is to use a global variable. Create a stop button as global, and use it from your main vi, in a separate loop to stop the sub-vi.
There are a number of possible alternative solutions, such as using references, queues, dynamic vi's, but this is definitely the simplest one.

I have attached your vi, after a few modifications. Try to improve your coding style.
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 2 of 6
(2,914 Views)
Thanks charly! Now it works!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,895 Views)
Hi CC

Did you really stop a for loop? If so - could you attach the library as LV7.0? I'm wondering how you could have accomplished that.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,890 Views)

becktho a écrit:

Did you really stop a for loop? If so - could you attach the library as LV7.0? I'm wondering how you could have accomplished that.

Sorry to disapoint you Becktho, but the loop was a while loop. And anyway, I would have replaced it ! 🙂

I agree with you, the possibility to leave a for loop would be of interest, although a while loop (actually a repeat-until loop) is easy to use. But the diagram could be simplified. Imagine : right-click the loop border, and select "create conditionnal exit", just bellow "add shift register" 🙂
On another hand, having only two types (actually 3 with the timed loop) of loop structures is also quite simple. Have you noticed how beginners are confused by the number of different wire types ?
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,872 Views)
Hm...

Maybe more confusion leads to more newbies taking courses. Smiley Wink

Anyway - I wouldn't need a "conditional exit". I'd prefer a "break"-function, which could be used in for- and do-while-loops and I'd already be glad if there was a real while-loop available. But that's the topic of another thread...

Thomas

Using LV8.0
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,862 Views)