LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still not able to re-activate LabVIEW CE after installing SP1

I have tried everything I have found on the forums to try to re-activate LabVIEW CE after downloading SP1 including:

-Uninstalling CE and re-installing

-Uninstalling everything NI and re-installing

-

1. Log out of NI License Manager
  2. Re-download LabVIEW Community Edition using the same User ID that you will use when logging into NI License Manager
    • Note that a full re-install is not required at this step
  3. Launch and log into NI License Manager to reattempt activation

-Cleaning out the register with ccleaner.

I still get the message: "There is no license associated with your NI User account".  The license selected is for LabVIEW 2020 Community Edition.  When I try to run LabVIEW I get the option to activate a 7 day trial.  I tried doing that and got a trial of LabVIEW 2020 not CE.  When I ran it the splash screen said LabVIEW 2020 where it should have said LabVIEW 2020 Community Edition.  I have never installed or downloaded anything but the Community Edition.  This leads me to believe that CE adds something to the regular edition to differentiate it from CE and this has possibly gotten corrupted.  I don't if this will help anybody figure this out but the computer seems to think I am running straight LabVIEW now and not the CE.

Thanks for any help.

Running Windows 10 Pro.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,315 Views)

@brhanse wrote:

I have tried everything I have found on the forums to try to re-activate LabVIEW CE after downloading SP1 including:

-Uninstalling CE and re-installing

-Uninstalling everything NI and re-installing

-

1. Log out of NI License Manager
  2. Re-download LabVIEW Community Edition using the same User ID that you will use when logging into NI License Manager
    • Note that a full re-install is not required at this step
  3. Launch and log into NI License Manager to reattempt activation

-Cleaning out the register with ccleaner.

I still get the message: "There is no license associated with your NI User account".  The license selected is for LabVIEW 2020 Community Edition.  When I try to run LabVIEW I get the option to activate a 7 day trial.  I tried doing that and got a trial of LabVIEW 2020 not CE.  When I ran it the splash screen said LabVIEW 2020 where it should have said LabVIEW 2020 Community Edition.  I have never installed or downloaded anything but the Community Edition.  This leads me to believe that CE adds something to the regular edition to differentiate it from CE and this has possibly gotten corrupted.  I don't if this will help anybody figure this out but the computer seems to think I am running straight LabVIEW now and not the CE.

Thanks for any help.

Running Windows 10 Pro.

Hmmm, activating the trial might make things a bit complicated from here on forward, but if you can, deactivate the trial and uninstall.  Then go to the C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\License Manager\Licenses folder and delete the license (.lc) file associated with the Community Edition.  (Don't forget to make a backup copy of the folder first.  Then follow the instructions the steps 1 - 3 as you described above.  Hopefully that works.

You might see a license file for trial, too.  If you do, delete it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,289 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I first checked the License Manager folder and found a bunch of folders in it including License folder.  I then de-activated the trial and uninstalled it.  Then when I went back to the License Manager folder there was only one folder left - a Data folder which had log files in it.  There are a bunch of other folders in the ProgramData/National Instruments folder that are left over from the uninstall.  I'm tempted to delete all those and see what happens, but I may be digging a bigger hole for myself.  I don't know what else to do.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,265 Views)

you could just rename the folder.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,255 Views)

Thanks again

I couldn't rename the folder.  I would get an error message saying a folder or file was open.  I got into task manager and shut down everything that said LabVIEW or NI.  I could then rename all but four folders.  The Web services in task manager would not shut down.  Every time I shut one down another one would start up.  After renaming all the folders I could I tried to run the setup file again.  The only thing I could install was the Package Manager.  When I un-renamed that folder I could then install the Community Edition again, but I still couldn't activate it.  Same problem.

I thought about standing on my head and clicking my heels together but I'm to old for that.  I hope someone comes up with a solution soon because I'm out of luck otherwise.  I think other people have the same problem.  It would be nice if NI could look into it and find a fix for the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,239 Views)

@brhanse wrote:

Thanks again

I couldn't rename the folder.  I would get an error message saying a folder or file was open.  I got into task manager and shut down everything that said LabVIEW or NI.  I could then rename all but four folders.  The Web services in task manager would not shut down.  Every time I shut one down another one would start up.  After renaming all the folders I could I tried to run the setup file again.  The only thing I could install was the Package Manager.  When I un-renamed that folder I could then install the Community Edition again, but I still couldn't activate it.  Same problem.

I thought about standing on my head and clicking my heels together but I'm to old for that.  I hope someone comes up with a solution soon because I'm out of luck otherwise.  I think other people have the same problem.  It would be nice if NI could look into it and find a fix for the problem.

Sorry, I am all out of suggestions.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,228 Views)

OK. Desperation time.

1. I've read that people make a new user account and install LabVIEW under that.  If so would I need a different email address?  What are the chances that would work?

2. Re-install Windows.  I assume I would need a clean install and not one where I keep settings and programs.  I guess I'm willing to do that as a last resort. 

If anybody has any other suggestions, please let me Know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,208 Views)