LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to read Microsoft Access from LV

I have the evaluation version of LabVIEW7 and wanted to know if I need to buy Database Connectivity Toolkit to read and write data from Microsoft Access. 

If so then can some direct me to a website which will give me step by step instructions on how to accomplish the task.  I am very new to LabVIEW

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,412 Views)
It is possible to access a Microsoft Access database from LabVIEW without using the Database Connectivity Toolset, but it is not an easy task. Basicly it involves using ActiveX calls in LabVIEW to access either the Microsoft ADO (ActiveX Data Object) or DAO (Data Access Object) class. To do this you will need to know how to accomplish 2 key tasks:

1. Automating processes with ActiveX in LabVIEW
2. Navigating the class hierarchy of the specified ActiveX class (DAO or ADO in this case)

The first task is detailed in the following tuturial. The second task will require you to do some research on www.msdn.com, the Microsoft Developer's Network. The following Knowledge Base can help you get started, though. Please note that the example attached at the bottom of this document was written in version 7.1 of LabVIEW, and can therefore not be opened in your eval version (7.0). If you are just getting started with LabVIEW, however, I would strongly recommend that you download and install the newest eval version of our LabVIEW software package, LabVIEW 8, which you can download here. Documents written in LabVIEW 7.1 can be opened in LabVIEW 8.

With all that said, the best option would be to purchase the Database Connectivity Toolset. This will provide native access to a Microsoft Access Database from within LabVIEW. The toolset helps formulate the necessary SQL commands for the interaction, but above all the best reasons for considering this toolset are the documentation and examples that come with it. These will drastically simplify the learning curve involved with getting started with LabVIEW and database communication. You can view the manual for this toolset here and an online demo here.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,383 Views)

Actually, accessing an Access database from LV is a pretty trivial problem. Do a search on my name. I have previously posted a zip file containing examples of how to SELECT and INSERT against an Access database. In your case, buying DCT would be a major waste of money...

Mike...

Message Edited by mikeporter on 10-25-2005 01:05 PM

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,380 Views)