LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static and dynamic reference

Hi,

This VI reference is called static reference and property node reference is called dynamic reference.

Can I check this concept practically.

Regards,

Anand

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,732 Views)

Hi,

Is there any reason calling "This VI" reference as static reference and property nodes are dynamic reference . Can I check this concept practically with some sample VI.

Regards,

Anand

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,737 Views)

Not all Property nodes are dynamic.  If you have a property node linked to a single control, without any Reference input at the top left, this is static.  If the property node is assigned an object on which to operate at run-time, then it is dynamic.

2018-04-19 17_31_52-Untitled 1 Block Diagram on V5 FPGA.lvproj_My Computer _.png

This is essentially the difference.

"This VI" is, by definition, static since it can only ever refer to a single specific object.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,731 Views)

Please don't create multiple posts for the same topic

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,728 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

Please don't create multiple posts for the same topic

I have merged the threads to avoid some confusion.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,701 Views)

Hi ,

Thanks for merging those post.

@Intaris,

This VI reference  and other reference e.g. (property node or invoke node) are pointers. Can you see the address value of this pointers before running VI and when running VI. I need to check how stack , code space and data space allocation happens in Labview.

Regards,

Anand

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,679 Views)

References are 32-bit handles.  You can see the value of a reference by casting it to a U32.  However that number doesn't really tell you anything, it's just something that the RTE uses to access the object.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,637 Views)