LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Asynchronous Call and Wait order the same?

Hi everybody,

It'd be farily easy to verify this, but as I couldn't find a thread covering this I thought it'd be worth getting the knowledge out there to the community.

Will the order of the Start Asychronous Call match the order of the Wait On Asynchronous Call? I.E., if the VI was a straight pass through of an integer and you passed in, in order, 1 2 3 4 5, would the output be in the same order EVERY time? Since there is only one reference, and not a reference for every instance, I'm unsure. I assume the order can vary.

Order.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,577 Views)

I'm not well versed in all the new clone pool options (I usually know how many clones I want and I open a specific reference for each one), but I suspect you are correct (i.e. my basic understanding is that at the ACBR node, LV will take a clone from the pool or create a new one and run it in parallel) and I can suggest a very simple check - add a random wait to the subVI and see if they come out in order. Like I said, I expect that you are right and they will not.

(2,547 Views)

Try out this example project I built for internal training on these new options.  Parrallel loops are your friend here my colleges.

The Help file has quite a bit of detail, tips, tricks, caveats and examples for this topic. It is a little distributed but following the internal links will get you pretty deep.   some reading and playing will bring you up to speed quickly

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,544 Views)

take at look at this white paper and examples too. http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/glang/wait_on_asynchronous_call/

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,495 Views)

Edna-S, I believe that's actually the LabVIEW help.

Thanks everybody for the responses.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,487 Views)