LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitter Panes and Window resize

Solved!
Go to solution

I took this VI from the OOP demo and was trying to figure out the the behavior of the two strings in the top of the VI (top pane). I've colored the two splitters in red so they are visible.

When resizing the window, the string indicator on the left stays anchored to the left side of the pane while the string indicator on the right showing time is anchored on the right side of the pane. Desired behavior, but for my own edification,  I'm trying figure out if this is due to the splitter properties or something else I'm missing.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,651 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BillMe

It's a bit tricky, the option is actually a property of the pane, accessed through the splitters shortcut menu.. 

the following is copied from here

"When the user resizes a pane, the objects on the pane maintain their distance to two edges (a vertical edge and a horizontal edge) of the pane. To configure which edges the objects stick to, access the pane's shortcut menu (accessible through an adjoining splitter's shortcut menu) and select the desired edge from the Pane Sizing submenu. For example, to make the controls on the pane maintain their distance to the right edge of the pane, select Origin Sticks to Right."

Message 2 of 4
(3,643 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

It's a bit tricky, the option is actually a property of the pane, accessed through the splitters shortcut menu.. 

the following is copied from here

"When the user resizes a pane, the objects on the pane maintain their distance to two edges (a vertical edge and a horizontal edge) of the pane. To configure which edges the objects stick to, access the pane's shortcut menu (accessible through an adjoining splitter's shortcut menu) and select the desired edge from the Pane Sizing submenu. For example, to make the controls on the pane maintain their distance to the right edge of the pane, select Origin Sticks to Right."

Therein is the problem, the Pane Sizing for both upper and lower panes (accessed through the upper splitter shortcut) say Origin Sticks to Top and Origin Sticks to Left. How is the time display sticking to the right?

And thanks for that link to the splitter tutorial.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,637 Views)

Interesting, I didn't notice that. It seems to me what actually happens is that selecting both "scale objects with pane" and "scale objects while resizing" results in the desired behavior. If you look closely, the string control is actually being resized, too. After seeing this functionality, I must admit the names seem a bit unclear. I had never looked into it much. However, this should get you the functionality you are looking for. I'm guessing you can read up on these two options to get the information you need on them (if you are craving a complete understanding of what each thing does).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,617 Views)