LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solving Known Issues

This morning I was working on a LVOOP project and was busy with password protecting the methods. Once finished I went working on the derived class and wanted to use the option to override a parent method. Bang. Epic. Fail. When you want to override your parent method, which is password protected, you need to put in the password of the parent.

Astonished by this, I found out the magic page of LabVIEW 2011 and 2011 SP1 Known Issues (http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13164/) and voilà, here is the problem even written down.

Cannot use the 'New>>VI for Override...' dialog to create override of password-protected VI unless you have the password

You use the 'New>>VI for Override...' dialog to override an ancestor VI in a LabVIEW class if the VI you want to override is password-protected.

Workaround: Make a public VI which wraps the functionality of the the private VI, and instruct others to override the public VI. Reported Version: 8.5

Reported Version: 8.5 Resolved Version: N/A Added: 09/01/2007

Even more astonished, I realized the bug was known for more than 5 years! A quick Ctrl + F for dates makes this small table of known issues and their year of discovery.

2007: 30

2008: 18

2009: 25

2010: 41

2011: 61

2012: 5

I'm not going to complain about reports from 2011 or 2012 that haven been solved yet. 2010 is discussable, but 30 unsolved issues from 2007! My question arises, are these problems EVER going to be solved? In our group we now know and use a lot of workarounds for known issues, but I guess everyone needs to use these workarounds and some workarounds are really ugly or time consuming.

Message 1 of 3
(2,153 Views)

We are currently working on these issues and we expected them to be fixed in a current version of LabVIEW, CARs such as these are addressed in the order which affects the most customers which is why these may be not solved immediatly after being reported.

Kind regards
Tobias S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,048 Views)

At least me, I am also affected by this car (52027 4A4GRP00).

Btw, how does NI measure how many customers are affected? For ideas, there are votes. But for bugs?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,992 Views)