From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow TCP duplex handling on remote connections

Hi!

I am working on a TCP client server architecture for a RPC-based LV code execution.

Now, when running TCP with one TX and one RX in the same while loop everything becomes extremely slow. The RX-TX of data goes to about 2Hz when running on a remote machine on my network, and to about 1000Hz when i run the same locally.

Could I have some explanation of this by some NI engineer? Am I missing something obvious here?

Attached a project zip containing a TCPDuplex vi.

Thankful for help,

Roger Isaksson

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 63
(5,025 Views)

Hi Roger,

you can handle the read and the write operation in different loops. With two loops, one for writing the data and one for reading it, you should get the performance you need.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 63
(5,001 Views)

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I am already aware of this "solution". But this will require a hackish-workaround as I have to pass data between the two loops.

How is it possible to create clean LVOOP code if every LV issue encountered has to be solved with a shoddy "workaround"? 

As far as I see it, this is a bug in LV and should be looked into.

Any NI engineer care to respond?

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 63
(4,995 Views)

Hi Roger,

why do you think there is a bug. You can do it in only one loop. Maybe you should use smaller timeouts. If it runs well locally,but slow in your network, how can it be a bug in software?

On which OS do you run this?

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 03-28-2010 05:35 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 63
(4,983 Views)

I get good throughput on two loops passing data between them, then what magic is hindering the one loop of executing the exact same thing without the extra overhead of passing data?

My bet is that there is some issue in the LV TCP Read and Write code that executes in the context of a while loop, most likely not running in two instances, as when running in two loops. Even though there are two wires of TCP references?

I am running the server side on Win7 Professional and the client on XP, both fully patched.

If you suggest some network latency or issue:

From the server pinging the client:

ping 192.168.0.197

Skickar ping-signal till 192.168.0.197 med 32 byte data:
Svar från 192.168.0.197: byte=32 tid=2ms TTL=128
Svar från 192.168.0.197: byte=32 tid=1ms TTL=128
Svar från 192.168.0.197: byte=32 tid=1ms TTL=128

From the client pinging the server: 

ping 192.168.0.190

Skickar ping-signal till 192.168.0.190 med 32 byte data:
Svar från 192.168.0.190: byte=32 tid=3ms TTL=128
Svar från 192.168.0.190: byte=32 tid=2ms TTL=128
Svar från 192.168.0.190: byte=32 tid=1ms TTL=128

Is it possible to have an NI engineer working with LV TCP looking into this?

Edit: I forgot to ask if you tried to run my code?

Roger

Message Edited by RogerI on 03-28-2010 11:56 AM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 63
(4,973 Views)
I am not sure that you can read and write simultaneously. I believe that the read and write VIs are blocking and that only one can be active at one time. At least for a single connection I believe this is the case. We encountered something similar to this and built a simple state machine that would service both the read and write data streams. However, the read and write could not be processed in parallel with each other. I know this is definitely the case when using VISA for a TCP/IP connection. I believe the underlying technology is the same for the VISA and native TCP/IP VIs.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 63
(4,959 Views)

Mark, I am thankful for all the advice, but so far all I have got is workaround hack style "fixes" that seem predominant in the world of LV "programming"!

As stated in my description of the thread, I am not using both read and write on the same connection reference. It is a duplex implementation. Have a look in the code, it is attached in the first post.

My implementation will use something similar to the classes InputStream and OutputStream from Java. This particular one is a SocketStream with one aggregate InputStream, implementing a listener and TCP Read for various data types. The second aggregate is a OutputStream, implementing, TCP connect and a TCP Write for different data types.

The problem: Encapsulating a TCP connection reference and then passing data between an InputStream to the OutputStream in the same execution context(or inside the same block of code) is impossible, at least if I would like to have decent IO performance?

Clearly a LV bug? 🙂 

Roger

Message Edited by RogerI on 03-28-2010 02:17 PM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 63
(4,951 Views)

Here are images of the code.

There are a few classes associated. I guess this will do?

Roger

Client.jpg

Server.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 63
(4,944 Views)

RogerI wrote: 

Now, when running TCP with one TX and one RX in the same while loop everything becomes extremely slow. The RX-TX of data goes to about 2Hz when running on a remote machine on my network, and to about 1000Hz when i run the same locally.

Could I have some explanation of this by some NI engineer? Am I missing something obvious here?

Attached a project zip containing a TCPDuplex vi. 

Shot in the dark here, but I'm going to guess that this is not a LabVIEW issue.  Have you been able to demonstrate that this doesn't happen with code written in another language?

I suspect that Nagle's algorithm is disabled for loopback connections, and enabled for remote ones.  This could explain the speed difference you're seeing, because data going to the local machine would not be delayed, but data for the remote machine would be.  It would also make sense to disable Nagle's algorithm for local data since there's no penalty in overhead and network traffic.  If you search this forum for Nagle Algorithm you can find ways to disable it; see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: By the way, if this turns out to be the correct explanation, you could probably solve it by using a single TCP connection for communication in both directions.  What is the advantage in your application to establishing two separate connections?  Also, your ZIP file is missing the Data Client VI.

Message Edited by nathand on 03-28-2010 06:26 PM
Message 9 of 63
(4,929 Views)
Follow-up: according to Microsoft's documentation, "The Nagle algorithm is not applied to loopback TCP connections for performance reasons."  This almost definitely explains your problem, especially since the 2Hz rate you're seeing matches the 500ms delay typically used before sending a small packet.
Message 10 of 63
(4,919 Views)