From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous start trigger

I am using two computers with continuous DAQmx and want to start them at the same time with a trigger.  I am assuming the easiest way to do this would be to have one piece of hardware send the trigger both two computers.  However, I was wondering if there was a way for one of the computers (comp A) to send a trigger to the other (comp B) and start its own acquisition at the same time?  And if this is possible, what type of delay might be seen between comp A starting its own acquisition and comp B starting the acquisition after recieving the trigger from comp A?

I am using LabView 8.5.  The two computers are each connected to their own BNC-2110.  The acquisition rate is 40kHz measuring something at high RPM so a small delay is important (on the order of ms or smaller).  I will already be synchronizing the clocks, but I would like them both to be sampling data from the same starting point.

This is my first time using triggers and I was unable to find any other thread or example dealing with a similar topic, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
--Robert
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,053 Views)
Another option I thought of would be to have computer A send out two digital signals.  The signals would be a boolean to act as the trigger.  I have tried this sending from comp A to itself and it seems to work.  Sending two signals from A and then having A read one of those back in seems like a very round about way to get what I want (and that means more wires).

Does this method make sense?  Is there a better way to do this (I am sure there is, but I havent found one)?  What could be the expected delay between the two computers recieving the signal?  Is the latency large and varying for digital signals or is it small and relatively constant so that both computers would start acquiring at nearly the same time?

An answer to any of my many questions would help me out alot?

Thanks.
--Robert
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,031 Views)