From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation Interface Toolkit 4.0 on Vista x64 with Matlab 2007b

I just installed Labview 8.5 and Simulation Interface Toolkit 4.0 on a Vista x64 operating system, along with Matlab 2007b.

However, when I start Matlab the SIT server does not start.  The problem is that 'NISITServer' will not run.  I get the error 'Undefined Function or Variable NISITServer'.  Trying to run this from the Matlab prompt also gives the same error.

I also tried to run 'loadlibrary NISITServer' and got the error 'Warning: Shared libraries are not supported on this platform.  Functions that do not have a mexFunction signature may have unpredictable results.' and 'Could not find file NISITServer.h'.

The exact same software versions (Labview 8.5, SIT 4.0 and Matlab 2007b) worked on 32-bit Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Anyone else had this problem when trying to install on a 64-bit operating systems?  Also could the problem by that the SIT library (NISITServer.dll) is not supported under Matlab x64 on Vista?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin 

Message 1 of 9
(4,938 Views)

Hi Colin,

There are no specific documents describing that SIT 4.0 is not compatible with 64-bit VISTA. Can you please post screenshots of your errors so that we can determine whether this is something we have not detected previously? Thanks!

Ipshita C.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,909 Views)

Hi Ipshita,

Thanks for the reply.

A screen shot of the errors is shown below.  When I installed SIT 4.0, it did not automatically add any lines to the 'matlabrc.m' file because the permissions for this file were 'read & execute' only.  So I changed the permissions and added the following lines according to the Readme on the NI web-site:

addpath('C:\SimulationInterfaceToolkit\Lib');
NISIT_AddPaths;
NISITServer; 

The issue seems to be that Matlab won't execute the 'NISITServer' library on startup.  I also tried going to the SIT directory and executing it manually (as shown in the screen shot) with no success.  Also tried using the 'loadlibrary' command with no success.

So, I'm not sure if the problem is that the specific 'NISITServer.dll' file is not supported under Matlab 2007b x64 or there is a problem with the matlab installation.

My system contains a fresh install of all software (Windows Vista x64, Matlab 2007b x64 and Labview software).

Colin 

Untitled1.png 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,883 Views)

Colin765-

SIT 4.0 is not supported for MATLAB® 2007b as per the SIT 4.0 Readme.  This is the reason you are receiving these errors.  If you need SIT to work with the newer version of MATLAB, you will have to upgrade your version of SIT.  Before purchasing the newer version, make sure you review the Readme file.  Sorry for the bad news.  

MATLAB® is a registered trademark of The MathWorks, Inc.

Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,870 Views)

Mike,

I saw that in the Readme, but it had worked fine with Matlab 2007b in Windows XP x32, so I thought I'd give it a try with Vista x64.

Anyway, I installed Matlab 2007a to try to get things working, and get exactly the same errors.  So I'm back to the same problem where the NISITServer.dll file will not run in Matlab.

Anymore suggestions on what I could try to solve this?

Thanks,

Colin 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,861 Views)

Colin-

Currently we have seen this same issue with 64 bit OS associated with SIT 4.0 and SIT 5.0.  I will get in contact with our R&D Department to see if this is a situation that will be fixed in the near future.  I will also create a Corrective Action Request (CAR) to update the documentation to include this in the Readme. 

Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,832 Views)

Mike,

Thanks for the update.  I appreciate any help with this.

I was able to get things working with both Matlab 2007a and 2007b by installing the 32-bit versions of Matlab.  So I have a workaround using 32-bit versions of Matlab, which will work for me in the short term.

Please keep me updated, with posts to this thread, as you get additional information on this issue.

Regards,

Colin 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,825 Views)

Colin-

I will let you know what I hear.

Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,809 Views)
Colin-

After further investigation, currently Simulation Interface Toolkit is not compatible with 64-bit versions of MATLAB®.  This is based on the LabVIEW runtime DLLs are written for 32-bit OS and thus not compatible.  A Corrective Action Request was created and is currently in development to alleviate this issue.  I am sure later releases of SIT will support 64-bit versions as they become more and more popular.

If you are interested in simulating control systems, I would also suggest looking into using NI LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation Module.  This module works seamlessly with LabVIEW, and therefore there is no need to worry about software interface issues.

MATLAB® is a registered trademark of The MathWorks, Inc.

Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,777 Views)