cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulating a compact RIO

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all

I am trying to simulate a compact RIO device so that I can write the RT and FPGA code before the device itself arrives. We are using a cRIO along with NI 9205 and NI 9263 modules. I have the necessary software packages installed in addition to LabVIEW (FPGA Module and RT Module), but am having trouble simulating a cRIO, which from my understanding I need to add to my project in order to write code for the RTOS and the FPGA. Is there any way around this or is my understanding incorrect? Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,226 Views)

I think your understanding is correct.  Check out this link.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,202 Views)

What did you do?  It should be as easy as selectiong the Project from the Project explorer, Right Click, New>>Target or device  Select New Target or device>> Real_Time CompactRIO

Then configure the FPGA and C Modules.  I have no trouble with LabVIEW 2016.  Lets see a MAX Software Screen shot that shows the NI 
RIO Driver and the LabVIEW Splash screen  (Menu Help>>About LabVIEW"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,194 Views)

Thank you for your responses.

I attached what I think you were asking for.

I have installed the downloaded the following items:
http://www.ni.com/download/ni-rio-17.0/6629/en/

http://www.ni.com/gate/gb/GB_EVALLVDSM/US

Am I missing anything? When I go to New>>Target or Device, Real_Time CompactRIO does not come up. I apologize for any errors, I am new to LabVIEW. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,183 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Schrodinger1933

Well, you didn't expand the LabVIEW 2017 area or include the about screenshot.

But, there is no NI RIO installed.

I'll attach some snips

Capture.pngCapture1.pngCapture2.pngCapture3.PNG

Shot 1 MAX Software with NI-RIO 17.0

2 MAX Software LabVIEW 2016v expanded with FPGA and RT Modules

3 Installation instructions for NI CompactRIO showing prerequisite LabVIEW Modules

4 LabVIEW 2016 Splash screen showing installed modules 

You don't seem to have the required software.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,173 Views)

Thank you all for your posts.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,169 Views)

I have successfully simulated a cRIO, and have added an FPGA target to the project so I can code a VI using the FPGA pallet. Is it possible to do the same with the Real Time target so I can get that code done before my device comes as well? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,158 Views)

It is.  Check out this link.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,150 Views)

That states "Note that you only can simulate the FPGA target of a cRIO or sbRIO. The real-time processor can not be simulated on those targets", so it turns out only the FPGA and cRIO target can be simulated. Thank you for your response. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,141 Views)