LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulate the transistor switch

Is it possible to use LV and NI-USB-6216 (BNC) DAQ to simulate the transistor key? 
For example, I want to turn on a light bulb with it. I need to operate 5V. 

Should I use AI and AO for this problem?
Where do I start and is it even possible with my DAQ? I've tried to draw what I mean. Thank you

12.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,202 Views)

Hi alex,

your USB6216 also has digital outputs available. Use them to drive a real transistor or relay…

Using an AO or DO on it's own will likely not provide enough current for your light bulb, just read the manual and specs of your DAQ device!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 5
(3,190 Views)

Hi, GerdW, thanks for your reply!
I've searched for any possibility to use my USB-6216 BNC as an Open-Collector or Active Drive and found out that it's not possible. 
So, I suppose I need either another DAQ or use the DO of USB-6216 BNC with the external BJT which is lame. 
Thank you! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,147 Views)

Hi alex,

I need either another DAQ

Why do you think so? Why haven't you checked the manual in the first place?

or use the DO of USB-6216 BNC with the external BJT which is lame

Why is it lame to use its own circuitry to do some conversion from TTL to whatever you need?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,142 Views)

Very few DAQ devices have the capability of switching a light bulb without external circuitry such as a transistor or relay. There are a few industrial devices with relay outputs which might be able to switch your light bulb but it would be far less expensive to add a transistor to the device you already have.

How much current does your bulb require? How much current can the analog output or digital output of your DAQ device sink?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,126 Views)