LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Encryption Using Labview

Hi everyone, I'm very new to labview (just 3 weeks of learning) and I've done a few projects to get me used to it. One of the projects I have been working on is this encryption program. It encrypts strings of any length and taking an encryption key of any length (longer encryption key is more secure). It also includes a security level for how much you want it to be encrypted. It comes with decryption capabilities that requires a decryption key and the security level. So now you can write cryptic messages to each other on the forums Smiley Very Happy. Check it out tell me what you think and what I can do to improve.

Try to decrypt this text.

"hg*faa!u(#&h$*u#%0ƒ29*}19 v/q,y&q-o C.l5o(e"n.y&g8j(r3l*a8o6t.p7s3Z)%[ fyaoouw' p gzot'ti +wiq!t"z%!$qtmoq' i#w"p(obrh#kx!u#d$þ±%ö(¶ yˆ*–h†qsžq—܊ۅڏՌՓŽžŽ

Encryption key: test

Encryption level: figure it out Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 30
(8,675 Views)

It's password protected so I would not run it even if it were not missing some subVIs. Something tells me that encrypted communications somehow violates the terms of service. If I wanted to secretly communicate with people over the forums I would probably put the encrypted message as a string constant in some VI and put it on the upconvert board. Smiley Very Happy

I once thought it would be funny to give away a free encryption program that automatically encrypts the contents of My Documents. After it was done it would pop up a message saying that if you are satisfied that the free encryption program works well, the commercial version also has decryption capabilities!"

I would never do that but I don't know you. This is your first post so maybe it does something horrible to my machine Smiley Very Happy

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 2 of 30
(8,661 Views)

You may be right. I remove password so you can look at it now so you know it wont kill you computer Smiley Wink. I also added missing sub VI. Sorry

Message 3 of 30
(8,647 Views)

Ok I am satisfied that it isn't some kind of Trojan. But this is the Internet and you have to understand my paranoia Smiley Very Happy

It also seems to completely garble the string into something totally unrecognizable. What encryption method is it? I am not that familiar with the standard algorithms. But just so you know, it probably isn't all that secure. The only reason I say that is because you are using the random number function in LabVIEW and I don't think it is all that random. I could be wrong. The one thing that I do know for a fact is that it is very difficult to do effective encryption.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 30
(8,599 Views)

why not just pipe it through openssl?

why reinvent the wheel?

:confused

http://www.openssl.org/

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 30
(8,593 Views)

That is the best way if the goal is secure encryption. But I get the sense that String_Theory is just learning LabVIEW and looking for a project to practice.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 30
(8,588 Views)

Blowfish for LabView

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30
(8,572 Views)

There is a native LabVIEW encryption package developed by Ton Plomp on the LAVA forums.

http://lavag.org/files/file/198-encryption/

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 30
(8,547 Views)
Just keep in mind that if it is tight security you want, you should really be using openssh since it is heavily reviewed by experts in the field. It is also constantly under attack by hackers which only makes it stronger.
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 30
(8,527 Views)

Thank you guys. I will clarify that this is not going to be used to encrypt anything important, but is for learning purposes only. When I stated "what can I do better" I meant it as my programming style in the block diagram rather than the method used for encryption.

Message 10 of 30
(8,495 Views)