LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Similar alternatives to the DSC module

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone, I am looking for an alternative similar to the DSC module, that is, a module that has similar functions, this due to when installing DSC in both VI Package Manager and NI Package Manager I get errors.
Thank you very much in advance.

Attached link of the error message when trying to install it, if someone can give me a solution I would appreciate it too: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Problem-installing-DSC-Labview-2019/m-p/4075354 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,533 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rick90

Unfortunately, installing LabVIEW has gotten more difficult in the days of NIVM (which is completely different from VIPM, a product that is not from NI).  The "Check your Internet connecion" message you received is the generic "NIPM has hit some unknown error".

There have been some suggestions here on the Forums about "possibly optimal" ways to install modern LabVIEW.  They include:

• Start with a clean system, one with all existing NI Software uninstalled.  [This has to be done "safely" -- numerous posts here (and on the Web, from NI) detail how to do this.]
  • Install 32-bit LabVIEW (unless you really need the larger memory model of 64-bit LabVIEW).
  • Install in multiple passes, first LabVIEW, next Modules and Toolkits (preferably one at a time), with only those "Additional Features" that you know you need.  Try to put off installing Device Drivers until the end.
  • Reboot after every pass.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,519 Views)

Thanks Bob for your prompt response, I will follow your recommendation, uninstall LabVIEW (in a safe way) and install it step by step.
And another thing, what version do you recommend, 2019 (I have it currently installed), 2019SP1 or 2020?
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,506 Views)

With all of the issues with LabVIEW installation these days, I try to "be careful".  I'm working with a team, developing a new Instrument controlled by LabVIEW.  I convinced my colleagues to install LabVIEW 2019 (which is the version I am using).  I recently (a few months ago) updated to LabVIEW 2019 SP1.  I have not installed LabVIEW 2020 (except on a fresh VM, specifically for participating here in the LabVIEW Forums).

I used to keep multiple versions of LabVIEW on my work machines.  However, when I had a stable LabVIEW 2016, LabVIEW 2017 SP1, and LabVIEW 2018 SP1 installation, I absolutely could not install LabVIEW 2019.  It took several months (!!) of attempts (interspersed with complete removal of all NI Software in between) to learn the secret -- instead of installing as we'd been "trained" to do for decades, i.e install LabVIEW 2016 first, then 2017 (SP1), 2018, and then 2019 (which is the "natural" way to do it, as you could be expected to install LabVIEW 2016 in, say, September 2016, but would need to wait a year for LabVIEW 2017, etc.), you have to install LabVIEW 2019 first, then 2018, then 2017, then 2016, then Drivers.  [This was such a radical suggestion, which I obtained from the wonderful Technical Support Engineers at NI, that I ignored it for a failed installation or two before finally trying it, and almost falling over when it worked!].

On my Work Machines, I've now "standardized" to a single Version of LabVIEW.  When/if I migrate myself (and my colleagues at work) to LabVIEW 2020, I'll do a complete removal of NI Software first (and may "practice" on a VM, just for safely).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,426 Views)