From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver Boolean Buttons (Behavior)

I've been through the palettes.  I haven't been deep into the Silver palettes because I've never needed to.

It isn't about "so you know what's in them.  It took me no time at all to drop several buttons on a new front panel and figure out what he was talking about.  He's right, it isn't about a VI and there was no need to attach one".

It's about if someone is going to report a problem or bug, whether it is a VI or a control, or whatever, they should make it easy for someone to replicate.

Please scale back on your comments such as this until you've spent a little bit more time participating in the forums.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 39
(1,047 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I've been through the palettes.  I haven't been deep into the Silver palettes because I've never needed to.

It isn't about "so you know what's in them.  It took me no time at all to drop several buttons on a new front panel and figure out what he was talking about.  He's right, it isn't about a VI and there was no need to attach one".

It's about if someone is going to report a problem or bug, whether it is a VI or a control, or whatever, they should make it easy for someone to replicate.

Please scale back on your comments such as this until you've spent a little bit more time participating in the forums.

You are wrong.  I've been participating in forums (not necessarilly this one) for years.  I've neen a CLD for several years.  I've been developing in LabVIEW for 13 years.  My comments were, and are, not out of line but you are.  Scale it back.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 39
(1,038 Views)

I am not wrong.  But I will scale back.

I'll scale back to zero on this thread.  Good bye!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 39
(1,035 Views)

I still think someone posting a problem could make the effort to attach the VI or other necessary files he was seeing the problem with. Just assuming it is a generic LabVIEW error (rather than one that could be specific to the local installation) and letting others try to recreate it is a bit .... well assuming!

If someone takes the time to post some bug report, it would be simply good courtesy to also attach the test file(s) they created for this. It may have been relatively easy to recreate this particular issue, but I really see to many people posting something about an error and not even making the effort to make it easier for others to reproduce the error.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 14 of 39
(1,018 Views)

@RavensFan :

But it is a lot easier if you present the file to us rather than having each of us individually dig around to try to recreate it!

"it is a lot easier ... "

It's true, you're right !

Message 15 of 39
(998 Views)
Perfect example of: a picture is worth a thousand words.

of course, if the picture cannot be seen due to a firewall or mobile device setting.... the post makes no sense at all since the boolean button behavior is just fine! (Reread the subject line)

Silver boolean button right click menus appear inconsistent. Now that CAR description would bring back memories of this thread.

play nice gents.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 39
(981 Views)

You are wrong.  I've been participating in forums (not necessarilly this one) for years.  I've neen a CLD for several years.  I've been developing in LabVIEW for 13 years.  My comments were, and are, not out of line but you are.  Scale it back.

If you've been using internet forums for years, I'm surprised you haven't learned that arriving in a new forum and shooting your mouth off at long established members isn't going to get you much of a welcome.

MC

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 39
(951 Views)

Hello everyone,

Thanks for posting this.
You're indeed correct that the Visability options in the right-click menu for the Silver Controls have this "unusual behavior".

Probably just an oversight (as Darin noted/mentioned earlier on).

I did a quick search at my side and didn't find back an existing CAR concerning this behavior.

If it's ok for you guys, then I'll just file a new CAR for this an update the thread with the CAR number.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
Message 18 of 39
(916 Views)

@kbbersch wrote:
RavensFan, you need to spend a little time looking through the control palettes so you know what's in them.  It took me no time at all to drop several buttons on a new front panel and figure out what he was talking about.  He's right, it isn't about a VI and there was no need to attach one.

As others have said, a picture can never tell the whole story. Even if you recreate the VI as seen in the picture, there are hidden properties (such as mechanical actions, key bindings, LabVIEW version, VI settings, etc.) That are not visible in an image, but might be crucial in solving the problem.

The OP spend a lot of time making an annotated picture and inserting it in the post. Attaching the actual VI would have required very little additional effort and would have helped us a lot. Requireing dozens of people to try to recreate the same VI from scratch is not very productive.

Message 19 of 39
(889 Views)

" Even if you recreate the VI as seen in the picture, there are hidden properties (such as mechanical actions, key bindings ... "

ok altenbachyou're right, I will do as you say next time.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 39
(847 Views)