From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significant Digits to Digits of Precision by default?

Howdy,

Is it possible to set the default precision for front panel numerics to, say 4 Digits of precision, instead of 6 Significant digits? I prefer digits of precision, and I always have to change each and every control and indicator. Is this selectable somewhere?

Thanks!

B-)
Message 1 of 9
(4,266 Views)
Also, I forgot to mention, I would also like the Hide trailing zeros box unchecked by default. Is this possible?

B-)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,265 Views)

One way around it, (but not the answer your looking for), would be to place a control on the front panel and customize it the way you want.  Right click and customize it.  Save the control as a .ctl.  Perhaps put it in the labview pallettes where you can find it again.

When you want a numeric for 4 dig. prec. and no trailing zero's, select that control file rather than the normal numeric control.

Message 3 of 9
(4,261 Views)
Right click your control or indicator and select format. You should be able to set your format the wya you want.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,247 Views)
Ravens Fan,

You're right. Although technically that would work, I'm not excited about creating a duplicate of every numeric control or indicator just to have the format and precision set differently than default. 😉

And to Joseph, thanks, but I already know how to change the format and precision for one control or indicator manually and programatically. My question is can I change the default so I don't have to do it manually every time?

B-)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,236 Views)
I agree it would be useful to set global defaults for formats and other cosmetic properties.
  • I typically want a fixed decimal resolution and the numbers right-aligned. I will never understand why all numerics are left-aligned. 😞
  • If I change an integer to hexadecimal or binary format, I want it padded with zeroes on the left and the default number of digits corresponding to the data type (e.g. U8: 8 digits for binary and 2 digits for hex).
There is always the product suggestion center. 🙂
Message 6 of 9
(4,229 Views)
This is similar to what was brought up as a desirable feature in a product strategy meeting at NIWeek 2006. Selecting a group of heterogeneous controls/indicators and then right-clicking to get "common" properties that could be manipulated on the whole group would be a great timesaver, but I like the idea of defaults as well. And I'm with Altenbach in not understanding the left justify on numerics. I'm off to the product suggestion web page.

Message Edited by Bill@NGC on 08-24-2007 05:09 PM

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,221 Views)

I just found this older post because I have the same issue and, wanting to be a good member of the forum, did my search first.  I'm stuck in 7.1 for now so obviously there are no fixes for me but really it's pretty obvious that one would want to specify a default and not have to customize or copy controls. Is this fixed in more recent versions of Lab View?

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,872 Views)
As of LV 8.6, there is still no way that I know of to set different defaults for the display formats of controls.  However there is one improvement.  You can now select multiple controls at the same time and change their properties at once.
Message 9 of 9
(3,861 Views)