cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shunt calibrating 9235 with 9144 in Scan Mode

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey Everyone,

I'm using two 9144s and a 9074 and I am trying to create a shunt calibration routine for 12 9235s(4 per chassis). I found this article on how to shunt calibrate with the 9144 and a 9237, but it isn't working:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/12017868777480AE862579BA004F0877

This is the error that I get:

Error 65723 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in Shunt Cal 9235's.vi
Possible reason(s):
CompactRIO:  This module cannot be configured while the controller engine is in its current mode.

The thing I don't get is that the modules on the 9074 calibrate fine, but when I try to calibrate just one channel on either of the 9144s, I get that error. I couldn't find much about this error, I was wondering if someone could help me out and point me in the right direction.

I have attached my code. It's fairly straightforward, and I don't see where the issue could be. Do I have to manually set the 9144's mode to something than what it currently is (i.e. Active to Configuration)?

Thank you for your help,

Seth

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,051 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sethmurphy

Your system might start up in active mode by default. This mode doesn't allow to set properties for your ECAT 9144 chassis. the chassis have to be in Config mode in order to enable the Shunt property. See the attached modified VI.

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,049 Views)

Hey Dirk,

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried making the suggestions you made, but am having the same problems. Once I found out about the scan engine pallete, I tried using some of the other functions. I found when I do the first four 9235s (on the 9074), the scan engine mode is "Active". However, when I try to shunt cal all twelve channels, at the end of the calibration, my scan engine mode is "Initializing". I assume this is because there are issues shunt calibrating those later channels, that the system resets.

I attached my code so you can see what I did.

Thanks,

Seth

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,044 Views)

I am not sure I understand. Are you running the attached VI on your Host Computer or on your remote cRIO target? if it is the target then you do not need the IP address configuration.

Your example switches the mode to config before it even tries to enable the shunt cal for the cRIO part, which is correct. It should be config mode before changing any property cRIO or 9144 doesn't matter.

Before you execute the code you have to deploy your controller configuration and your EtherCAT master configuration from the project. I tried LV 2011 , RIO 4.1 and ECAT 2.3 and it worked without error.

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,041 Views)

I am not sure I understand. Are you running the attached VI on your Host Computer or on your remote cRIO target? if it is the target then you do not need the IP address configuration.

Your example switches the mode to config before it even tries to enable the shunt cal for the cRIO part, which is correct. It should be config mode before changing any property cRIO or 9144 doesn't matter.

Before you execute the code you have to deploy your controller configuration and your EtherCAT master configuration from the project. I tried LV 2011 , RIO 4.1 and ECAT 2.3 and it worked without error.

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,040 Views)

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I am deploying this on my device. My project is already set up with the 9074 and 9144s in it with the appropriate modules. As for the VI,I removed the IP address of the system and have it running as it should. However, I am getting two different sets of errors. I have two different error indicators for my test. One is after the shunt cal for loop and the other is after switching back to "Active Mode"

When I try to shunt cal at least one of the 9235s that is on the 9144, I get this error:

Error -66205 occurred at Property Node in Shunt Cal 9235's.vi
Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  The variable object was not found.

When I try to only shunt cal the modules on the 9074, I don't get an error after the for loop, but I get this error when switching to "Active Mode":

Error -2147138516 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in Set Scan Engine Mode.vi->Shunt Cal 9235's.vi
Possible reason(s):
The NI Scan Engine could not be changed to Active mode because one or more slave devices failed to enter Operational state.

Any insight would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,033 Views)

Both errors are indicating that your 9074 is not aware of one or more of the modules plugged into the chassis.

Go ahead and deploy the EtherCAT master configuration from project again.

If that doesn't help FTP to the 9074 and delete the content of this folder: /ni-rt/config

After that reboot the controller and deploy controller and EtherCAT Master again.

let me know if that doesn't help.

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,030 Views)

Hey Dirkw,

I FTPed into the 9074 and deleted the files like you said. I appreciate this advice because before I was having difficulties connecting to the 9074 and this fixed it. With that said, that fix took care of the issue I had when just shunt calibrating the 9235s on the 9074. I am getting the same error I was originally when I try to calibrate any module on either of the 9144 chassis. I am using LabVIEW 2011 SP1 and the 9074 has RIO 4.1 and etherCAT 2.3.

Is there anything else I could provide to help you find out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Seth

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,013 Views)

Hey Dirkw,

After retrying this code this morning, it started to work. I don't know what I did differently, but I am able to shunt calibrate all 8 9235s on the 2 separate 9144 chassis. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,998 Views)