LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show control representation using export string

Solved!
Go to solution
I've noticed that when I create a .vi or .ctl and go to tools > advanced > export strings the created XML file does not list what the representation of the controls are.  I create the attached .txt file using this method for the attached .vi.  The XML data does not display what representation the control is.  Where is this information stored?  Is there another XML Schema (or other format) that can be used to export the representation information for controls?   It amazes me that it seems impossible to change or view the representation of a control or indicator without having to right click on it and go to representation.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,352 Views)

Hi PhilipJoeP,

see this link please. If this not helps, then please explain in more detail what you want? Maybe you can attach your files.

Mike

Message 2 of 8
(3,336 Views)

MikeS81 wrote:

Hi PhilipJoeP,

see this link please. If this not helps, then please explain in more detail what you want? Maybe you can attach your files.

Mike

Mike, I looked at the link and the question was raised about changing the data type from one type to another.  The answer on the first page was this was not possible.  Still, I'm interested in figuring out why when i export a string with the technique above, the resulting XML file does not display the data type of the control.  Here are the files i forgot to attach.  Note how the representation of the controls does not appear in the XML data.

Message Edited by PhilipJoeP on 05-27-2009 09:29 AM
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,326 Views)
The representation is not supposed to be listed in the file. The export strings and import strings are used for localization and the representation is not at all relevant. Look up the help topic 'localizing VIs'.
Message 4 of 8
(3,323 Views)
Quite likely this is just a different way of asking this question or an attempt to see if this solves that question.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,319 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:
Quite likely this is just a different way of asking this question or an attempt to see if this solves that question.

Not exactly... although related.  I'm looking at different possibilities and all the options that go with it.  I've been able to auto-generate clusters two different ways now.  The solution at the link you provided me was one way, but I found a better way for my application.  Stay tuned and I’ll update that post with the other solution.  In this post, I’m trying to find a way to then take that cluster and export it into some format so that I can then parse through it and know the type of control, name, and representation.  Doesn't seem like that is possible... or at least i can't find a way.  Auto coding might be a solution, but an XML file would be ideal.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,316 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PhilipJoeP

The Flatten to XML function will provide information as to datatype.

Message 7 of 8
(3,301 Views)
This is great!  Thanks! 
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,291 Views)