From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shift registers

Hi,

On the NI website it says "The data you wire to the terminals of each shift register must be the same type", yet when I wired a DBL control to one of the terminals & an I32 control to the other, no errors or broken wires appeared, so I'm quite confused as to why the NI website said otherwise (please view image attached).

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,613 Views)

you are initializing the shift register it can be a int value or other smaller than the double type which use 64 bits and the I32 use 32 bits so there's nothing wrong with it

here are the numeric data types

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/numeric_data_types_table/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,593 Views)

It's called coercion.  If the datatype doesn't match, but LabVIEW can make the data work with the other type, then it will coerce it into the expected datatype and indicate that it did with the red dot you seed on the shift register's input tunnel.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,580 Views)

Hi joanneA,

As guys mentioned, LabVIEW automatically changes the data type of the input (if applicable, for example it won't change the data type from String to Double). This is showed on block diagram in form of small red circle.

More about coercion: Coercion dots

You can also check: What's the Deal with Coercion Dots?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Patrik
CTA, CLA
Helping (sharing) is caring!

If the post was helpful - Kudo it.
If the post answered your question - Mark it as Solution.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,545 Views)