LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared library after upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10

After upgrading my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I cannot open my  LabView 2012 vi because of the message 'find the shared library named FTD2XX.dll'. Can anybody give me an advice how to proceed?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,900 Views)

My main advice is to upgrade your version of LabVIEW.  LabVIEW 2015 is currently the only version of LabVIEW supported on Windows 10.

But you might just have to install some driver for your USB-Serial port.  I am just guessing that is what it is due to the "FTD" in the name.

Can you share some code for some of us to try?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,893 Views)

The smarter move, but it is too late for that, is to not have upgraded to windows 10 at all.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,878 Views)

Thank you for your answers.

I immediatly uniinstalled Windows 10 and downgraded back to Windows 7, after which everything works again! I think upgrading to LV 2015 is not an option, because, as far as I know,  LabView versions are not backward compatible and I should have to upgrade all my vi's.

Muonlab

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,851 Views)

@muonlab wrote:

Thank you for your answers.

I immediatly uniinstalled Windows 10 and downgraded back to Windows 7, after which everything works again! I think upgrading to LV 2015 is not an option, because, as far as I know,  LabView versions are not backward compatible and I should have to upgrade all my vi's.

Muonlab

I'm not sure exactly what your concern is with the last sentence.

You can install both LV12 and LV15 on the same PC.  For projects you have that you want to keep in LV12, use that.  For new projects or ones you want to upgrade, do it in LV15.

It is true that LV15 can open LV 12 files, but LV12 files can't open LV15 files.  But if you keep your projects separated, you won't have a problem.  And in the event you accidentally open up a LV12 file in LV15 and save it without meaning to, you can always open it in LV15 and use the File menu Save as Previous Version option to save it back to LV12.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,824 Views)

"Upgrading all my VIs" generally means "opening them in the newer version of LabVIEW, and then saving them".  It happens "automagically", with very little involvement of the Developer.

A decade ago, as LabVIEW was transitioning from LabVIEW 7 (with which I have far too much experience!) through LabVIEW 8x and into the year-numbered versions, there were significant changes that made upgrading difficult, including (a) changing from traditional DAQ to DAQmx (instantly making obsolete developers who actually understood how to use traditional DAQ -- DAQmx is just so much more logical and simple!), (b) introducing the LabVIEW Project to help "organize" LabVIEW code, particularly for projects with multiple VIs (and making it simpler to encourage the "better practice" of keeping modules simple, but more numerous), (c) introducing Network Streams to take the mystery and arcania out of TCP/IP communication between processes, (d) introducing Quick Drop to simplify and speed up creation of Block Diagrams, and (e) numerous other refinements of long-standing LabVIEW structures (such as Conditional Tunnels, Bookmarks, and others).

It keeps getting better and better.  While it might not make sense to update every years (the problem with updating is going backward -- once you save in 2015, you can't open it in 2012, so the whole team needs to update or you really can run into a form of "Version Hell" -- I hope you are using a Version Control System, a Very Good Idea even if you never change LabVIEW versions), if there is a good reason to update (and moving to Windows 2010 and LabVIEW 2015 make a compelling choice!), then you really should consider it.

One more option you can consider.  I'm currently doing development with a colleague who runs LabVIEW 2011, so I also need to run LabVIEW 2011.  But this machine is running Windows 10, so how can I run LabVIEW 2011?  The answer is that I'm running inside a Windows 7 VM, in which the only version of LabVIEW installed is 2011.  Incidentally, I also have a Win XP VM for those less frequent occasions that I need to examine the ancient LabVIEW 7.0 code -- this VM has only LabVIEW 7.0 installed.

When I was beginning to learn LabVIEW, and realized the "Version problem" inherent in LabVIEW, I went on-line to see how others dealt with it.  One suggestion was to use VMs -- it took me quite a few years to learn the wisdom of this suggestion, but it is now much rarer that I "accidentally" work on "safe" code with a more recent version of LabVIEW, thereby "contaminating" it, by using "special-purpose VMs" for older software Development and Maintenance.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,816 Views)

Thank you for your elaborate answers.

I will consider your suggestions and discuss them with the computer technicians in our lab.

Muonlab

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,794 Views)

The D2XX is the 'advanced' FTDI driver for their usb to serial converters - probably during the upgrade to Windows 10, it would have emptied out that D2XX.dll driver from the windows (System32) directory - if you reinstall the D2XX driver (from the FTDI website), it would have fixed the problem.

I use LV2013 on a Windows 10 laptop and I have very few issues.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,742 Views)