LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Excel Workbook does not minimize as expected.

I noticed a strange behavior Report Generation Toolkit when using an Excel file which is set to be Shared Workbook.

Share.PNG

I have a piece of code that opens an Excel file and reads its content.

I use native RGT VIs, no modifications.

This is how I open my Excel file:

Excel_Open.PNG

When my Excel file was not set to Shared Workbook my code opened Excel file minimized and read data properly.

When I changed Excel to be in Shared Workbook mode my Excel does open, it is minimized at beginning but as soon as RGT reaches Excel_OpenWorkbook.vi the Excel window is back from minimized to normal.

Excel_Open_Inner.PNG

I can minimize it back programmatically, but the Excel still pops up for a fraction of a second which bothers me much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,244 Views)

I prepared simple example. 

Excel files are empty. The only difference is with Shared Workbook settings.

One opens minimized while other does not...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,201 Views)

The answer is simple -- do not use the RGT with Shared Workbooks.  Recall that the Report Generation Toolkit is designed to Generate a Report, in this case, one that adheres to the format of an Excel Workbook, using "hooks" into Microsoft Excel.  Here's a note from Microsoft:

Shared Workbooks have limitations, and one in particular is the inability to edit using Excel for the web. Therefore we highly recommend co-authoring, which is the replacement for Shared Workbooks. Create a new workbook or open an existing workbook. Then place it on a network location.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,186 Views)