From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share indicator between case structures

Hi,

I have a boolean case structure. Inside each case, there's a for loop. Inside the for loop, there's an indicator to display data of each iteration. I want to have only 1 indicator to display data.

The problem is, I can't take the indicator outside, because then it wouldn't display data after each for loop iteration. If I leave the indicator inside the for loop, then there're more than 1 indicator to display data of each case.

Please help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,584 Views)

You can use a local variable of the indicator in the other cases

However, I question if your logic is inside out.  Perhaps the loop should be on the outside, and the case structure inside the loop.

I would recommend looking at the online LabVIEW tutorials
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Three Hours
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,581 Views)

Actually, my system is not that simple.

I have a boolean case structure. Inside the true case, there's a for loop. Inside the false case, there's another boolean case structure. Inside the inner case structure, the true case has a for loop while the false case has nothing. The indicator I want to share is inside the 2 aforementioned for loops

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,573 Views)

Ravens is right. Please post your VI so we can help you avoid some common beginner mistakes.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,572 Views)

When people talk about loops inside other structures, and wanting to update an indicator inside a loop, I visualize they have some while loop that runs for some indeterminate amount of time, perhaps a long time.  I don't expect it to be For Loops.  I consider For Loops something that generally does not wrong for a long time (unless you have some very large dataset you are operating on.)  A For Loop runs N times, runs fast, and generally returns pretty quickly.  There usually isn't a reason to update an indicator inside of it on each and every iteration.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,553 Views)

Thanks everyone,

I redesigned my system a little bit, and I no longer have this problem.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,535 Views)