LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set HID Driver from NI-VISA Driver Wizard as Default

I've made an application based on the USB-RAW Bulk and Interrupt examples to communicate with my custom device. In order for my device to be recognised by VISA and MAX, I had to generte the  driver with the Driver Wizard. This set up works, but if i plug in a different device (same VID&PID) windows automaticly uses the hid.dll driver. What can I change, to make every device (my custom device with fixed IDs) recognised by VISA, even on first connection?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,639 Views)

Hi PJ,

the assignment of drivers to devices is done by Windows. I attached a link that can help you with this issue:

How Windows determines the most suitable device driver to install during Setup
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/279112/how-windows-determines-the-most-suitable-device-driv...

Best,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
Senior Applications Engineer, National Instruments Germany
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,570 Views)

Do you know way to aumaticly update the driver, with a .bat file ?

On XP , i used DEVCON. It worked perfectly.

Devcon update c:\windows\inf\custom.inf USB\VID_12BF&PID_F021*

But it give failed on Win7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,449 Views)

Hi AF001,

the drivers under Windows 7 are usually updated by Windows Update or for NI drivers via NI Update Service.

Best,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
Senior Applications Engineer, National Instruments Germany
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,417 Views)

I had the same issue. HID was preempting my custom VISA driver. I messed around for an hour with devcon without success and I eventually found a most simple way to switch driver:

- right click your .inf and [install]

- open [System][device manager]

- my device appears on 2 separate lines under the HID category, one is HID (delete this one), and one is USB

- right-click that one and [Replace Driver]

- go through all the choices (3 in a row) to select manually

- and finally you'll see a list that includes your already installed custom driver. Select that, reboot and tadum!, it appears in MAX !!!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,110 Views)