LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serving up a webrtc protocol from RT for audio streaming server?

I'm looking at options to do some streaming audio from a cRIO application to a mobile webapp.  I'd like to stay native webapp so was curious if its possible to implement manually the webrtc audio protocol to serve up audio from RT and let the clients then connect with webrtc for the audio stream.

Anyone have experience implementing a webrtc server in labview?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,460 Views)

Hi Mike,

What is your end goal? Are you trying to create specifically a webrtc server through LabVIEW, or would creating a normal web service be fine for this application? I'm not too familiar with webrtc and how a web server can be changed to fit to the protocol. Are you simply trying to stream data from the cRIO to a webapp that you created? Have you tried accomplishing this through other means?

Lauren

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,399 Views)

Lauren, I'm looking at options to ultimately stream audio data that can be played back in a webapp on a wireless phone or tablet.  I already have a REST webservice running and periodic data displayed to the phone with a couple commands through rest as well, but audio will require high speed data, so a socket connection will be required, maybe websocket, but I'd like to create a webrtc or rtsp audio stream so a standard browser can consume the stream if at all possible.  My other option I was thinking was to just stream the raw sound data over websockets but I have no idea if you can manually reconstruct and play an audio stream without it using a supported protocol for streaming.  

Hope that helps explain what I am looking to do.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,395 Views)

Hi Mike,

From the little I read about WebRTC, it seems that you'll need to use JavaScript to run the application. Have you looked into the Getting Started series we have for using JavaScript and HTML with LabVIEW Web Services?

Lauren

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,374 Views)

Ya, of course a web app will need javascript, that is certain. I got something working well.  Can't easily recreate the webRTC protocol, but HTML5's new web audio API has support for streaming PCM audio, so I've done that now through websockets and it works pretty good.  Enough for the proofe of concept I'm doing first anyway. 

Message 5 of 6
(3,362 Views)

I'm glad you found a workaround! Thanks for sharing it here.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,347 Views)